add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Sgehr

66 months ago

For my first PC build I am thinking about getting the Mugen 4 HSF... But i dont know if it the best for me. It looks great but I want comparisons to others about the same cost as it. (~$50)

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Another review: silentpcreview

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

It's excellent. Here are some things you will notice:

-this is a LARGE heatsink. That surprises some people.

-it's not that heavy, especially for its size. This eases strain on the motherboard when mounted horizontally.

-because it's big yet not heavy, the fins are very thin and easily bendable. Be prepared to bend them back after mounting. No big deal.

-the fan is dead silent. It's almost inaudible at full speed.

-the mounting mechanism is sturdy and easy.

-the fan mounting is a bit tricky. I found it difficult to get both the bottom and top of the mounting clip on the fan at the same time - when I put one in, the other would pop out and vice-versa. It took a little while to get it right.

-watch for RAM interference. Unfortunately this is the weakest part of the HS. It WILL interfere with your RAM. Make sure you have low-profile RAM. On my motherboard it interferes with RAM slots 1 and 2, maybe even slot 3. Since you can slide the fan up a bit, this helps but no way will you be able to use RAM with high heatspreaders in slot 1. Slot 2 is a bit beyond the projecting fan edge so there's a bit more room but the projecting fan edge ends up very close to RAM slot 3 in my motherboard.

If you're OK with that last point you get excellent cooling. Check out the silentpcreview article, they tested it better than most Noctuas.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube