add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My $1500 Gaming Build, is it good? Can it be improved for less money?

Colinski283
  • 70 months ago

Please look at my $1500 Gaming Build, is it good? Can it be improved for less money? What do you think? Thanks. Left out Windows, I have a copy. Added a monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Colinski283/saved/p98bt6

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

At this budget, you can get the newer Haswell processors for the same price. The processor/mobo combo might be like a $5 to $10 dollar difference.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so to start, sorry if this is abit lengthy:

Here is your build with a few things removed/swapped out, all of my explanations for the changes are after the list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $129.99 @ Micro Center
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $109.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $329.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $85.98 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor AOC e2752Vh 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $199.99 @ Best Buy
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN951N 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter $26.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Xigmatek XAF-F1251 75.3 CFM 120mm Fan $12.99 @ Amazon
Fan Controller Aerocool F6XT Fan Controller $19.99 @ Mwave
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $19.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1414.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-12 20:14 EDT-0400

Storage:

First off, I trashed the 256gb SSD because it isn't needed for gaming and, more so, that lack of space can be very limiting. For the most part the main configuration used these days is 1 low capacity SSD for your OS and afew programs, this will make your comp's boot speed and alot of the basic little things wayyyy faster. The Low capacity SSD is also usually used with a higher capacity HDD where you put all of your "inert" files such as Music, Videos, Pictures, Documents, etc. It, honestly, is the best way to go in my opinion other than going for a complete high capacity SSD configuration which is very, VERY pricy.

Secondly, I dropped the sound card

Sound cards are, generally, useless. Yes there are some higher end products which perform beautifully, but for the most part they do nothing your MOBO isn't doing. The improved sound quality people experience with sound cards isn't actually as a result of the individual card being so amazing, but rather is a by product of its basic configuration.

What I mean is that the headphone jacks on the front of cases are connected to the MOBO (motherboard) via a cable which is routed through the case. Due to the use of conductive materials in these cables they are susceptible to what is known as "Electromagnetic Noise". Long-story short, all of the moving metal parts and electricity flowing through your case creates static of a sort which is picked up through that cable and is passed to your headphones or speakers you may connect.

The trick about sound cards is that since they plug directly into the motherboard via PCE/PCIE there is no "middle man" to absorb and pass-on the static and noise to, so your rig will be fine without the dedicated Sound Card.

I also removed the dedicated wired network card

Although I totally understand the want of a wireless network card, a wired one is redundant with most motherboards these days. The motherboard you chose has an integrated network chip which will give you the SAME EXACT PERFORMANCE as the one you had in your list, the motherboard one may even be faster since its integrated onto the board instead of being an add-on (although you probably wouldn't see much of a difference in performance)

Last but not least

I removed the after market thermal paste since your Hyper 212 will come with it's own tube of thermal paste, but even I don't trust that stuff sometimes, so I can't really speak against adding it back on again if you wish to do so

I also changed your case fan to one that moves much more air. If you were going with a closed loop water cooling solution like the corsair h100i I would say get a pressure optimized fan, but for a the Hyper 212 good ol' airflow will do the trick there.

I also changed your keyboard, PS2 Keyboards are becoming an antiquated technology with many MOBOs not even having connectivity for it so I got you a pretty reasonable Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo, it's nothing too fancy, but It will last a while (I'm still using my logitech 260 from 4 years back) Side Thought

Intel is defiantly the way to go for precision and performance with higher-end computations, however, for gaming intel isn't really needed and a basic fact of the market right now is that AMD is they way to go if you wont a great price-to-performance ratio. Essentially, if you spend Intel level money on AMD products you usually end up with some serious fire power.

For example: Your Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor - $190 AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz 8-Core - $200

For 10$ more you get DOUBLE the cores and an entire 1GHZ (1000MHZ) increase in CPU performance, granted that, that particular CPU i listed off there runs quite Hot, is power hungry, and NEEDS a decent cooling Solution.

So, if you want to save some dough and get some ridiculous game performance, I'd go for an AMD build, just to give you some idea of what I'm getting on about, here's the link to my current AMD build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NaturalCarr/saved/vQGnTW

Well, that's about it. Again, sorry for this being abit lengthy.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with all of your recommendations except what you said about sound cards, depending on the quality of the card (the sound blaster card they have chosen is pretty good) can drastically improve your audio experience. But this is dependent on a few thing for one, you need higher-end headphones/speakers to take full advantage of this, but some people react to improved sound different than others.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

take a look at this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t6cMMp

Base Total: $1399.42
Combo Discounts: -$9.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$60.00
Shipping: $0.99
Total: $1331.41

doesn't include tax

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks awesome however with this budget I'd get an awesome mechanical keyboard.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you all for the input, i especially appreciate the logic behind your changes. Thank you!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube