add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD powered HTPC/Steambox (Can be improved?)

Soul_Est
  • 70 months ago

I been quite interested in building a small, transportable gaming/media system for some time. I wished to be able to pack the machine in my backpack or a carry-on (30 cm (W) x 12 cm (H) x 45 cm (D) internal volume) along with whatever else I needed and go. The biggest issue was that since I began my research, I couldn't find the right case to house the build in. Not even the RAVEN RVZ01B worked as it is too large at 382mm (W) x 105mm (H) x 350mm (D). But I could fit a much better system in it. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/GgsmNG

Thankfully, I found the case I was looking for in this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mini-itx-gaming-radeon-hd-7750,3369.html While I couldn't find the Winsis Wi-10 that was mentioned in the article, I went for the Winsis Wi-01 using these components:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Gelid Solutions Slimhero 52.4 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $39.53 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard MSI A88XI AC Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard $116.90 @ DirectCanada
Memory G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $101.68 @ Memory Express
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $112.98 @ Canada Computers
Other Winsis Wi-01 $70.00
Other AMD A8-7600 $135.59
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $576.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-12 23:32 EDT-0400

^ Small with good performance ^

This system would fit would definitely fit although it's performance would be much lower.

The A8-7600 was chosen because I could not stomach the price of the A10-7700K, A10-7800, or A10-7850K for so little improvement in performance. Compared the part list I put together for the RVZ01B, there is no contest as to which one would win, especially when you compare the R7 240 (Radeon HD 7730) in the A8-7600 to the GTX 750 Ti. As I don't foresee myself installing many games, I opted for the SSD to speed things up. The RAM is the fastest I could afford without going overboard. The cooler should be low profile enough to fit inside the case (hopefully) and yet still be able to cool the A8-7600 well (hopefully).

The titles that I hope to play on the machine are:

I already know that the system would be able to run them but not how well.

Do you think this system build will work or do you think I can do better? Let me know.

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube