add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help on this proposed first build particularly the motherboard

Jules547
  • 70 months ago

I am updating our old pc (was an Intel core 2 E8500 and Radeon 4600) for my son's gaming and would really appreciate some comments.

CPU FX-6300 Video Radeon R9 270x Twin Frozn Mob Asrock 970 pro 3 r2.0 ATX AM3+ PSU Corsair 500 Mem G Skills Ares series CAs 8 2 x 4gb

My biggest query is the motherboard, not exactly sure what I need. Concerned the 970 chip needs a BIOS upgrade, have no idea how to do that? So wondering whether to get the Gigabyte GA 990x-ud3 instead ( quite a bit more £30!).

Should we stretch ourselves even more and get the FX-8320 or even the FX-8350 or is it not really necessary

I haven't ordered any extra fans or thermal compound, do you think I should and if so what?

We are very excited to do this but it is very daunting! Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Julia

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your total budget? Also, do you need a monitor, keyboard, os?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess closes to £400 as possible, but if something's worth getting it would be good to know about it. I already have case, monitor, keyboard, storage and a 128 gb ssd card.

Thanks

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

The ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 has supported the FX-6300 since it was initially released:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/?cat=CPU

(the 6300's part number is "FD6300WMW6KHK" - it lists BIOS "all")

So you shouldn't have to update the BIOS if you don't want to.

I have the Gigabyte 990FX-UD3. It gets you lots more PCIe expansion slots, but since you're not planning on Crossfire (which the ASRock board can still do anyway) there should be no need. I only got mine because there was an excellent sale and it was less than most of the 970 boards I was looking at.

With a good graphics card, you shouldn't need to go to the FX-8230 or FX-8350.

You don't need thermal compound if you aren't planning to use an aftermarket cooler - the stock cooler comes with it preapplied. Extra fans will depend on the case, it doesn't look like you've chosen one yet. Many cases have adequate fans included.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

That's really helpful thanks. I did want future possible crossfire, would the R9 270x video graphics card be good with another one. Just out of interest I presume my current Radeon 4600 wouldn't be any good with my new board? What sort of things do you need the extra expansion cards for?

I think my case is an Elite 330 if they still make them.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't tell you too much about Crossfire, I don't do gaming and I don't use Crossfire. However another identical card should work fine. Whether it's the best combination to use for the games you play, someone else would have to answer.

There's lots of things you can use the extra expansion slots for. Me, I was interested in an x4 PCIe SSD. I ended up not getting one but I do use an x1 slot for an Intel gigabit Ethernet card (which is much better than most onboard network interfaces). With the ASRock board you'd have an x1 slot if you wanted to do the same, and that's even after you went with a Crossfire setup.

You can also use slots for RAID cards, USB cards, etc. Most likely you won't need them for what you want to do. The ASRock board should be fine.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought that Ud3 was locked and didn't allow for very good over clocking. I would definitely make sure you have a fully unlocked board to utilize your 6300 or 8230. The reason these CPU's are good is that they have great OC options. If not OC your better off with an I3

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

shoot me your budget, and parts that you already have and I can assist.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I've bought the PSU, memory and CPU now as per http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6gkjRB I want to buy the video card today, it's the motherboard I'm needing help with. I guess in the range £50-100. I have an ssd card to install, I want to be able to overclock and possibly use crossfire in the future, so I'm looking for a board that will get the best without spending unnecessarily.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

The UD3 isn't locked. You can adjust any frequency, multiplier or voltage you like. I can't say whether it's a good overclocker or not, I tried it and it worked but I'm no expert on overclocking.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube