add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I wait for X99, DDR4 and Haswell-E?

Bintazmin
  • 70 months ago

Hey guys. I'm planning on building my first system for nearly 10 years. I've been saving for a while and have a budget of around £2000 ($3300) for everything (screen, peripherals, OS, etc). I'm planning on building a dual boot hackintosh/windows machine for graphic design work and gaming. I'd done a lot of research and put together a parts list I was happy with, when I found out that there is a boatload of new tech coming within the next few weeks/months such as GTX 8XX series, Haswell-E, DDR4, X99, etc.

Is it worth me paying out now for the newer tech? My thinking is that if I go with some decent DDR3 now with an X79 board, It'll cost me more to upgrade in the future because I'll have to buy a new mobo to upgrade to DDR4 anyway.

It's all so bloody confusing!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd say it's definitely worth waiting. X99 will be worth it, because it will probably last a long time. After all, look at how the early socket 1366 extreme edition i7s performed. It will also be good to have DDR4 in your system sooner rather than later, because if you got an X79 setup with DDR3, you would have to buy a whole new motherboard and CPU in order to get DDR4. As for the 800 series, Gigabyte accidentally leaked that their lineup of Nvidia 800 series cards will be coming in September, so we know approximately when the new cards are coming.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

The key thing here is not future tech, but the fact that you're building a Hackintosh. Hackintosh systems are extremely component-specific. That said...

Definitely wait for X99. Then at least you can wait for results on what parts are compatible. Imagine throwing out (or repurposing?) $800+ worth of CPU, mobo, and RAM later on if you go X79 now.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Well...there's always something new around the corner! You could wait forever. But Haswell-E and X99 are coming very shortly:

http://wccftech.com/intel-haswelle-x99-chipset-release-date-leaked-haswell-refresh-pentium/

However X79 is really starting to show its age and waiting for the update to X99 might well be worth it. If it stays around as long as X79 it will have a lot of longevity.

Personally I'm waiting for either X99 or Haswell-E. Broadwell is still uncertain as to release date and rumours it may be soldered into the motherboard only, or not available for desktop at all. Until those rumours are confirmed or denied, no use waiting around for it.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

The better question is do you need the extra cores for your workload? If the answer is no or not much, it would make more sense to go with 1150 instead of 2011 or 2011-3

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

What will be the benefit for non-APU users between DDR3 and DDR4?

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that actually doesn't sound super-compelling...

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

... that's still not compelling. We are talking about a handful of watts saved here, and about a RAM limit that is meaningless to 99% of users.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but there were people saying that when DDR3 came out. Now try playing games or video editing with DDR2.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube