add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions wanted, build used for 3D rendering, CAD, Photo & Video Editing, Productivity, with gaming in near future

ZPower
  • 70 months ago

Hello everyone!

This is my first computer build, and I am very excited to say the least. Like the title says, this computer will mainly be used for 3D rendering, CAD work, Photo and Video Editing, Productivity tasks, Web Browsing, with gaming in the near future. With gaming, I don't see myself going with a higher resolution than 1080p for the next couple of years, so a super-expensive graphics card I feel is a waste of money right now. The programs I mainly see myself using are:

Autodesk Inventor Solidworks Creo LabVIEW Blender Photoshop Elements/Sony Vegas (haven't decided between the two) GIMP Windows Movie Maker Microsoft Office Suite Games such as DayZ, Arma 3, etc.

Now, the parts I have already purchased in the build are: CPU Cooler, the SSD, Power Supply, Optical Drive, Monitor, Keyboard, and Speaker System. All of these except for the speakers were purchased at the local BestBuy. I do not have a graphics card on the build as I am still deciding on what GPU to set my sights on. I am really leaning towards a GTX 770 4GB, but any recommendations are welcome. With the GPU, I would really like to come in under $400.

I really want to stick with the proposed CPU, Motherboard, and RAM as I believe that would be best for my needs. However, I welcome suggestions and changes that you might have. Feel free to ask if you need any more information, and thank you for your time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $329.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $209.95 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $169.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.98 @ OutletPC
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $119.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $77.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive HP DVD1265I DVD/CD Writer $39.99 @ Best Buy
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $129.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $149.99 @ Best Buy
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $112.99 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers $60.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1662.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-13 10:00 EDT-0400

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It won't be great for gaming, but for Inventor and Solidworks I would love to have a Quadro K2000, K2000D, or the upcoming Maxwell-based K2200 instead of a GTX 770. Viewport and photorealism simulations run way smoother in those programs on Quadro cards.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks LeMonarque for the quick reply! That is why I'm really waffling between graphics cards. On one hand, I want something that games reasonably well, but I also want it to perform great with CAD programs. Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely look into the Quadro lineup.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube