add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I run crossfire?

BrysonMcGuire
  • 68 months ago

Can I run 2 powercolor PCS+ R9 290 off a 750 watt power supply. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120pg0750gr This is my build LINK

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points

Not with that card... 1000w for 2 in crossfire

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

If you use crossfire, the power supply might struggle to keep up and you might surpass your power supply's maximum capabilities. My tip: Stick with one card if crossfire is not necessary immediately and wait for a future upgrade, or swap out the power supply to at least an 850w.

• 68 months ago
  • -1 points

Always allow around 150W of headroom (for load and OC) when using Nvidia GPUs, add about 50W for each additional card in SLI (in addition to the card's base TDP).

If using AMD, you may need up to 300W (for load and OC) when using Radeon GPUs, add about 75W for each additional card in crossfire (in addition to the card's base TDP).

Not only are AMD cards much more power-hungry, their power draw also scales poorly with load and OC compared to Nvidia...in my experience in the industry.

If you have the PSU for it, I'd go with AMD since they seem to have the $-to-Performance edge.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

300w for AMD cards? Where do you get your numbers?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

That's only TDP, it says nothing about power supply headroom. 150-200w of headroom is the most anyone will ever need.

[comment deleted]
  • 68 months ago
  • 1 point
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube