add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
milopierre
  • 68 months ago

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DcrwmG

SeaSonic G550 was my original choice. I honestly don't know if I'll SLI another 780 later on, or go with another single card - so I'm kind of confused as to what the best decision is here. Anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

550 W is cutting it rather tight, particularly if you're considering another video card. 650W+ would ease the strain on the power supply.

Power supplies are most efficient at 30-50% of their rated load. You may want to go even higher than 650W, particularly with a second video card, but keep in mind these calculations are worst-case scenario at 100% power. You'll only be at 100% power draw minutes or seconds at a time - your power supply can take it it you're only there for a very short time (provided you're not over, of course).

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, the 550 was a deliberate lowball, mainly because I keep seeing 850W+ in similar builds, yet I've seen videos of people only pulling 450ish out of the wall with the 780 on full load. I was under the impression the peak efficiency was a bit higher, so a low wattage OEM would be the sweet spot.

Anyway, my indecisiveness about another card/ single gpu upgrade in the future, and if your numbers are accurate then I'm liking the AX760.

Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube