add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hit a snag in picking a cpu cooler?

mudden98

66 months ago

So I am building a new pc (first time builder) and am trying to decide on a cpu cooler. I dont know if I will overclock immediately but I want the option to be there, because I don't really know how much of a boost you can get. I was thinking of a heatsink along the lines of a noctua, but then I researched more into the h100i and corsairs water coolers. Then I was thinking a h80i but I dont know where to mount it. I could mount it on top of my case but I am OCD and would want a 240mm radiator since it has room for it. So then I thought of the h80i and putting it on the exhaust of the case in the rear but I feel that would reduce cooling because warmer/hot air would be blowing through the radiator.

Can I get some insight on this? Remember, I don't want to mount a 120mm radiator on the top because I would rather have 2 fans or a 240mm radiator, just for aesthetics, and not sure about mounting a 120mm on the exhaust due to a performance drop. I would also be okay with a 240mm like the h100i but am not sure if it is needed. Im trying to get the bare minimum of the build right now because im also saving for my first car so I just want to get what will allow the PC to work without issue. If I can go with the stock cooler and not OC (if I decide I want to) until I get a higher end cooler that would be great.

Current build in mind: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X3YCZL

It will be gaming/video editing, and yes I do plan to add a video card later. The processor is already much better than the one in my current laptop.

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

You're way overthinking this. I'd stick with stock until you're ready for watercooling. So far the build will be understressed because of the lack of a GPU. It doesn't need anything more. When you get the GPU then revisit everything. You might need to upgrade your psu as well. The case will fit anything so you have lots of expandability options.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

ok. I have decided to stick with stock per another forum thread on tomshardware. And what psu would you recommend? I just put a 780 I was originally planning on in the build (which was changed on toms hardware: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PbbQK8 ) and the estimated wattage is only 437...the 600m has 80+ bronze and is 163 watts more than what it will be...

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

For some slight overclocking I'd suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo which is quite cheap and with tons of good reviews - of course you can make do with the stock cooler as well, but it's not much and you're on the cooler side, which is always good for less noise and added reliability.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube