add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard for a i5-4690k?

HeXiiCs
  • 70 months ago

Hey guys, i'm new with computer building and i'm having trouble finding a motherboard for an i5-4690k CPU. My budget is $150 and please don't tell me any z97 is good because I am clueless on motherboards. (I am building a gaming computer)

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Copy+paste from another post. Not that I don't care about you, just alot to type out again! haha. I actually just did a build with the GA-Z97N-WIFI and the i5 4690K. Works like a bauce.

You could go mITX and get the Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI. I just did a build with that. It's a great motherboard and only cost us $100 ($120-140 is normal price. Micro Center bundled our CPU and Motherboard saving $40). I reviewed it in my build. You can check that out. If you wanted to go ATX or even mATX, I would suggest (in precedence):

Gigabyte (good quality; good price; great customer support)

MSI (great quality; priced a bit higher; good customer support)

ASUS (great quality; More expensive; Loathed Customer Support)

ASRock (budget; mediocre quality)

EVGA (these just look sexy. Not sure about quality)

Some options of motherboards would be:

Gigabyte: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97

MSI: MSI Z97-GAMING 5

Asus: Asus Z97-AR

AsRock: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 or ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer

Also, when you do decide on a motherboard, be sure to download the manual for it on the manufacturer's website and check out RAM comptibility. A Motherboard that isn't fitted with the right RAM, will not work at their highest potential. Hell, my first build I didn't buy RAM according to the motherboard's ram compatibility chart and now I can't run 16gb, only 8gb. Just something to keep in mind.

Try to keep within the i5's recommended voltage for RAM to further prevent problems. Like the i5 i put in my friend's computer (second build). the i5 4690K has a suggestion for RAM voltage to be within 1.5V +/- 5%. I don't know what the i7's or rest of the i5's are.

• 70 months ago
  • -1 points

I can tell you to go with the Asus Z97-A due to its quality and performance, also it is ready for the next series of Intel CPUs.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube