add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best performing liquid cooler?

Vas65mar

65 months ago

Hey guys, i'm going to be doing a new build fairly soon in a the air 540. I am going to be cooling the i7 4790k. Im thinking of getting the x61 or h220x. I neeeeed performace. Nothing too fancy, under $200 would be great. Thanks in advance

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 4 points

I would definitely go with the h220X as it is expandable and has very nice performance. But if simplicity is all you wan then the X61 would be better.

• 65 months ago
  • 2 points

According to some tests done at LinusTechTips, the Kraken x61 is the best performing one, outperforming the H220-X, but if you expand the H220-X, you can easily beat it.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Both are excellent and should be very similar in performance for you, though the x61 has benefits in terms of noise and power reduction due to the variable pump, and the h220 is expandable to allow for adding additional parts to the loop... With out of the box performance though, they should be very close

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, great suggestions. I might even think of doing a custom loop. Anyone know any good custom loops that have a red or white led block?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

ek

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Only blocks that have leds are the xspc razor/raystorm and the new swiftech blocks.

• 65 months ago
  • 0 points

Well...the only performance you need is enough to get the overclock you want at safe temperatures right? Thing is safe temperatures for a 4790k are anything beneath 105C (a lot of people say they prefer beneath X but the only number to worry about is 105). With that in mind, most any dual fan CLC would work fine. Honestly pick what you like the looks of the most, they'll all cool enough to get you the performance you want.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

105C is the temperature at which the CPU will thermal throttle because it is at risk of melting the solder inside of it. I prefer to be WELL below that threshold.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

No it is not, it's the temperature at which the CPU will shut itself down to prevent thermal damage.

EDIT: To explain further. If you run your CPU stress testing software (AIDA64 IBT or whatever you prefer) and you hit 95C, that means that at the MOST EXTREME SYNTHETIC WORKLOAD you hit a MAX TEMP of 10 C BELOW the thermal threshold. That is absolutely fine because you will NEVER hit that temperature in real world operation anyway.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube