add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Have I made a noob mistake, or will I be okay!?!?

originalmatt
  • 68 months ago

I recently purchased all the parts for my PC Build. My GPU arrived today, it's the Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X. Without realising, before I ordered everything I didn't see that the GPU has a 500W specification. The PSU I ordered is 450W. It's the Zalman ZM450-GS. Will I be okay? Or do I need to buy a better PSU... :c

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Part list?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/K9DKsY This. Except for the PSU and GPU which are the ones in the thread.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya you'll be alright, just don't o/c as you don't have a ton of headroom

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure? And if there isn't enough power what would happen?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it's not that there isn't "enough power", it's that you don't want to be running power supplies at close to full load all the time. That's how you fry them.

If you're able to order another PSU and get your money back/return the one you ordered I would try to go with something towards a 500w or higher PSU. There are some pretty inexpensive ones, if not and you have to stick with that PSU, don't overclock and you'll be good

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be fine. A good quality 450w PSU can run an i7 and a 780. I wouldn't recommend it, but it should work.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Easiest way is to see if you have the right cable for the gpu. If not, sorry.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

In looking at both I think you should be fine. Don't overclock anything tho.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/K9DKsY These are the other parts, baring the GPU and PSU in the part list.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube