add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case Advice

muzungu90

64 months ago

Hi fellow builders!

Currently, I am still in the research phase of my build. I have already managed to gather some components. However, I am still a bit worried about my case. Its the last thing I need to decide on really. After reading reviews and watching builds about the Bitfenix Prodigy M the biggest thing that worried me is the airflow. Initially, I really like the look and design of the case. I want to include 3.5" HDDs with expansion possibilities. Due to budget problems I will start with two HDDs. The idea of the build is that it will function as NAS and media server with perhaps gaming possibilities in the future. With the current case the HDDs would sit on the bottom. Preferable I would like to intake cool air from the bottom and exhaust from the top. That seems logical to me and most efficient. Looks are also important - I have to look at it constantly. I am thinking of changing to the Fractal Design Node 804. Only problem is the size - its quite big I feel. The reason I initially fell in love with the Bitfenix case was that it was small and looked badass!

I need advice or tips or perhaps suggestions!

Here is a link to my build as I currently see it.

Cheers!

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

The Prodigy M has a reverse airflow design. It should go from top to bottom.

While the Node 804 seems to have a more standard airflow design, it is actually quite restricted.

I would personally go with the Prodigy M using a top->bottom airflow pattern.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

You have experience with Node 804? It seems quite spacious actually. More so than the Prodigy M.

I just think because of the reverse airflow design exhausted heat from the PSU might find its way back into the case. Also the space of HDDs in the prodigy seem restricted.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU in the Prodigy M pulls in air from the front panel and exhausts it through the bottom of the case. You should also have a 230mm spectre pro fan on the bottom of the case exhausting heat from the CPU cooler. The top fans of the case should draw in cool air for the GPU. The rear fan should also be an exhaust, I believe.

Spacious doesn't necessarily mean better airflow.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

True enough!

I understand the airflow design. But see thats exactly my problem, if i put 230mm fan on the bottom where will i put my HDDs?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

The Prodigy M comes with a special vertical bracket for HDDs. You don't need to put them on the bottom.

http://cdn5.thinkcomputers.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/BitFenix_Prodigy_M_02-415x260.jpg

Do you see? :)

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah true. Will the vertical position affect the spinning parts in a harddrive?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube