add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading my copy of Window 7 (32 bit) to 8.1 (64 bit)

jbr003
  • 70 months ago

Okay so here's my question,

I have the product key and downloadable .iso file for Windows 7 (32 bit) I want to have a 64 bit operating system to take advantage of new computers hardware and such. I'm going to be building the computer and obviously need an operating system.

Is my best bet to install my copy of Window 7 (32 bit), then purchase the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1 on a 64 bit computer I have access to?

Orrrr can I go ahead and buy the Windows 8.1 (64 bit) upgrade on a 64 bit computer and use THAT .iso to boot my computer once it's built? This would be nice as I could skip the step of having to install Windows 7 first.

If my wording is poor or you need more explanation please let me know, I'm pretty confused about the whole process.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're building a new computer and you are going to buy windows 8.1 then you don't need to mess around with 7

just buy 8.1, put the disc in and type the key when asked

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Well what I'm confused about is that since I own the 32 bit version of Windows 7 I read that I need to purchase the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1 on a 64 bit computer or it'll try to give me the 32 bit version...

also I don't have an optical drive so I have to boot from USB

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't matter about the version of windows you are using, what matters is whether your computer is capable of 64bit. If it is then you can either install windows 7 64 bit or 8.1 64bit you don't need to go to one before the other.

To check if your computer is 64bit capable do the following _

Go to control panel and in the search box at the top of the page type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.

Do one of the following:

In Windows 7, click View and print detailed performance and system information.

In Windows Vista, click View and print details.

In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type, and whether or not you can run a 64-bit version of Windows under 64-bit capable.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube