add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

cpu cooler fan stops randomly

Kabal

65 months ago

Good day, I've built a PC with the following parts

CPU : Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad-Core 3.3GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

GPU : Gigabyte R9 270X GDDR5-2GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Z97 2-Way SLI UEFI DualBIOS ATX Motherboard

SSD : Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive

RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

CASE : Cooler Master N400 - Mid Tower Computer Case with Fully Meshed Front Panel

HEAT SINK : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

PSU : Corsair CX600M

It works fine for the most part, I've been able to use it for normal web browsing and some gaming here and there but it has a huge flaw. There are times when the fan of the CPU cooler just stops and the computer shuts down (I imagine the shutdown's a safety feature to prevent the CPU from overheating). The PC then reboots by itself with all the case fans running but the Hyper 212 Evo fan doesn't start up so the machine doesn't POST. I cannot imagine why this would happen since the fan is properly plugged in, it is not loose and is in the CPU fan 4 pin slot. Does anyone have any experience with such an issue?

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

No. Can't imagine that it was shutdown because the fan went off. See that my tx3 can passive cool my E3 xeon I don't think your computer will turn off a few seconds after the fan goes off. No way it cannot that hot.

It is most likely a software problem.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

If there's a short or loose connection for that fan, it will shut down once the motherboard doesn't see a fan hooked up to the cpu header. It's a safety feature

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

2 possibilities, the fan on your heaksink is going bad, or you're using PWM fan control and the motherboard isn't supplying enough voltage to get the fan to spin up. Like one of the others said swap heatsinks with a stock one temporarily and enter the BIOS, and disable any fan control, let the cpu fan run at 100 %. Yes it may be a little noisier but it will get full voltage to the fan, which will help eliminate if it's a voltage issue, or bad bearings in the fan.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube