add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Alternative Motherboard Suggestions

AndersonCouncil
  • 69 months ago

Hi,

Like so many other posts on this forum I am a complete noob when it comes to PC stuff but I am trying to build my first gaming PC and have run into a bit of a problem.

I recently tried to buy an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD motherboard for a custom small form PC that I am building and unfortunately the supplier is out of stock of this product. I live in Norway and have already used Norwegian price comparison websites to find out where else I could pick up this motherboard but I've had no luck. Ordering in from Amazon and others is prohibitively expensive so that's not really an option.

Given that I am using a Silverstone Sugo series SG08 case, what is the best alternative motherboard with similar specs that I could buy as a replacement for the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD that I can't get?

The other parts I am using (for compatibility) are:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3350p GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 HDD: WD Redpro 2TB NAS Drive SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB OS: Windows 7 Home Premium Optical: Panasonic UJ240 6x Blu-ray Burner BD-RE/8x DVD±RW DL SATA Drive

Many thanks!

Andy

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you already have the Core i5-3550? If you do, then you need to find an LGA 1155 motherboard. Unfortunately those are discontinued - this is likely why the supplier is out of stock and why you can't find a replacement.

You need a mini-ITX board for that case, and you need LGA 1155 for that CPU. Those were rare when they were current. Now that they're discontinued, you have quite a search ahead of you.

The way I see it you have 3 options:

1.Search eBay for a used motherboard.

2.Bite the bullet and import an expensive replacement.

3.Sell the CPU and get a more current one with a more current motherboard (LGA 1150). Both the CPUs and the motherboards will be more readily available.

Option 3 is by far the best. Option 2 is the worst - no point spending extra money on an obsolete socket.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube