add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

update bios for 4690k cpu

fazer1
  • 69 months ago

ok so i've bought the Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 Intel Z97 ATX Motherboard mainly as it suits my needs and cause it came with a free keyboard aha, but i intend to use intels i5 4690k devils canyon. just wondering how i can go about updating the bios to current compatible version. would the cpu get me to the correct screens. I would appreciate a as full walkthrough if anyone has done it as i am a relative newbie. thanks callum

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Check the box markings - sometimes the BIOS version is marked. It would probably be around the UPC code/serial number area. You need BIOS F5. It was released on May 30th so there's probably a 50/50 chance you have F5.

If it's not marked, might as well try the CPU. Install it as normal and see what happens. If it does POST and start up, you might not need to do anything more. If you do want to update the BIOS and you can get into the OS you can update the BIOS using Gigabyte's @BIOS utility. If you can't get into the OS, download the latest BIOS and put it on the hard drive or a USB key. Press the "End" key during startup to get into Q-Flash and follow the onscreen instructions.

Now if it doesn't POST, either nothing happens at all or you get something about a bad/invalid/unrecognized CPU microcode, you're in trouble. Try to get into Q-Flash if possible - otherwise you will need a compatible CPU installed to update the BIOS. Looks like the cheapest one you can get which will boot on the older F3 BIOS is the Celeron G1840 at $42.99:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646g1840

You'd have to eBay it or use it in something else after flashing.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. To be honest I'm not sure what happens when an unrecognized CPU is installed - it might work just fine, it might be partly functional but boot all the same, or it may not work at all, not even enough to permit BIOS flashing.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think it's worth the risk of running the 4690k in the mobo or should i be sensible and just buy a cheap cpu, flash it then put the 4690k in.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Try it, you won't damage anything. It's worth a shot. You can get a cheap Celeron if you need to.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought it could burn out the cpu and mobo or one of them individually

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Like others have said... no reason for a bios update. It'll just work.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do one though. But it won't make or break your system working.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

well according to the website only the most recent version has compatibility for d. canyon. and that came out on first of july i think but yeah hopefully it will work.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing that dramatic - it's not like the board will apply inappropriate voltage or something.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Why are you worried about the BIOS? The whole point of the Z97 chipset is compatibility with the DC cpus.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need to worry about the bios update because Z97 is new stardard of 1150 socket , so you are good to go.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Uhhh, all Z97 boards right out of boards have full compatibility with the Devil Canyon CPU's. You don't need to flash or update your bios unless you have stability issues.

• 69 months ago
  • 0 points

The motherboard webpage indicates that the 4690K is supported with BIOS F5 though, which is the latest. Older CPUs are supported with earlier BIOS versions.

I agree that Z97 was designed to support Haswell Refresh but Devil's Canyon came a few months later.

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

Sigh. The Haswell "Refresh" IS the Devil's Canyon chips.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

True that Devil's Canyon is part of Haswell Refresh but it was not released at the same time as the first Haswell Refresh CPUs.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4790.html

Core i7-4790 (Haswell Refresh), released May 11, 2014. About 2 weeks after this board was first released with BIOS F3.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4790K.html

Core i7-4790K (Devil's Canyon), released June 2, 2014 - 3 days after the release of BIOS F5 on this board.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

My humblest apologies. I had thought that the Devil's Canyon moniker had covered all 5 chips in the refresh.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Heh heh, no problem! I remembered reading that somewhere and had to look hard to find definite dates. :-)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube