add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Multiple PSU Calculators Tell Me Different Wattage Needs -- What Wattage Do I Really Need?

patzivota
  • 67 months ago

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nzn2jX

I put my build in several different wattage calculators and got completely different results. These are the results, along with the PCPP estimated wattage:

And the popular PSU calculator at www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp doesn't work. The page doesn't load for me.

I don't understand why the results above are so different. What size PSU do I need? Thanks.

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

If it helps, the systems I've built and benchmarked have been within 10-20% of our predicted value in power consumption at peak. I feel pretty confident in the value it estimates.

The Newegg calculator result is absurd. The only way that part list is going to draw 1200W is if it catches on fire.

For your build I'd probably recommend a 650W unit to give you some headroom.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking at you parts list and using eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite. You are most likely around 550 watts being used. So a 650-750 watt would be best any higher is a waste of money unless you plan to CF. Also do you have a brand and model in mind?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA which seem to be very high quality PSU's. Or the Sentey line, which are about half the price. My desired setup is cheap-part based, anyways.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

dont bother with the sentry... the super nova is superb though and is usually one of the best deals in its wattage as far as price goes (they are on sale constantly)

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Go With the Supernova if that is more in your price range.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

the pcp results are always estimated with very conservative numbers. the truth is usually a little higher. The msi tends to figure in the msi brands power draws (and they are usually a bit more efficient in gpus), so youll get very conservative numbers there too. newegg has lots off wrong results and vary wildly... asus tells you the most accurate, but its not an actual power figure... its what they recomend for ideal longevity and performance BASED on the actual usage and the calculations from there... The 290 gpu typically calls for a 750w psu for a single card based on manufacturer recomendations, so this is pretty close to what Asus says too, which is likely higher due to your other component choices like the power hungry cpu.

basically, get a 750w as its close to whats ideal and yet not so weak that it may encounter an issue... if you went for a 500w, it would run great, for a time... and then blow something once you started gaming hard. If you get a 600w, it likely would survive many game sessions and last a while, but the thing would be far more stressed and it might last you 6 months to a year instead of 5-10 years, and your electric bill would increase due to the lower efficiency at that load... if you went for a 1000w or bigger, they your looking at rock solid performance, but with insane cost at initial purchase and possibly at the wall depending on if you get a continuous power or a smart unit or whatever other advanced technology it has (in the price range of these units, special features become more normal... but then again, we are talking about more than double the entry cost of a 750w evga unit here...)

so ya, 750w

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube