add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which is probably best for my build, Water Cooling or just regular fans?

Zambonie

65 months ago

Hi, I'm going to do my first build soon, and I'm pretty set with my part list. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zambonie/saved/JnLFf7 And just looking through it, I was thinking if I should water cool the cpu (maybe gpu) I'm going to pretty much be playing stuff such as Portal 2, Minecraft with SEUS shaders, mods, and resource (texture) packs, SimCity 5, and some other games such as Destiny and Need For Speed all on high/ultra at most of the time 1080p (I don't do much recording). (I might get Crysis 3 in the future.) I will also run background apps such as Spotify, Chrome, File Explorer, Steam Client, and Skype all the time. I will also plan to overclock my CPU to from 4.0GHz to 4.3 or 4.5GHz and maybe overclock my GPU. Will the CPU Cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) All Handle that, or should I possibly just switch out for a water cooler, maybe also water cool my GPU to? And, please don't post anything like "Your Specs Can't Run That!" or "You should upgrade this or that" or "That's to expensive" as they all don't relate to my question.

Thanks

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

It's better to air cool your pc. For the cpu cooler it can handle mild overclocks but once you push it past 4.2 you need a stronger and better cooler. Lastly not all fx 8350's ca handle the best overclock, it really depends on your cpu chip itself and if you got one of the lucky ones or not.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, Thanks. After Looking into the custom water cooling kits, they are a little to expensive. Even with Corsair's water cooling, a lot cheaper though over my budget.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Anything with water cooling is always like that, usually the rule is water cooling will be as much as 1/3 of the cost of the pc itself and if you want it to look good then it will cost just as much.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Way off there... About all the water cooling comments.

That said, the Evo will handle stock temps fine, but once you up your clocks, your either going to need a more powerful air cooler like a noctua d-14 or a liquid cooler. And you can get a good liquid closed loop system for the price of that d-14 which cools just as well... Moving up to the bigger closed loop like the h100i, seidon 240,and x61, they will out perform the air coolers easily while also not putting alot of weight on the motherboard that can stress the board over time and cause motherboard failure if not supported well or if it's moved alot for Lan parties and such. You can also nab a Swiftech h220 system which can be later expanded into a full custom loop to include your graphics card if you want. While it's true you can spend hundreds on a custom system, you really don't need to as the $80-150 coolers are far more than enough. If you really want to try for a 4.5 oc, get a liquid cooler.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

that was about a full custom loop not an all in one water cooler btw... yes i do know about the all in ones i have the 220, 220x and the x61 myself.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

You have the Cadillac coolers lol. I have the lowly h100i on my rig :P (a h220 would be nice though... But they were not sold in my country when I bought my parts for some damn reason.)

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

For my recent build, I went with an Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid. It helps to have a $20 rebate. :) Anyways, the reason why I went with an all-in-one is that the some (not all) air coolers are massive and can cause interference with RAM or video card slots. This All-In-One cooler avoids that issue. Setup was fairly easy, and you do have to make sure that the connector that you hook the pump into is set to full power.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

You could also get the 120v if money is tight. It costs the same or less than an Evo 212 and out performs it.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

actually i would suggest water cooling it is a much more effective way to cool your cpu and you don't need to go custom right away try something like the H220X from swiftech it is an all in one water cooler that allows for you to upgrade and expand from that due to the much stronger pump. also it is significantly cheaper than going custom and it will deliver the same performance as a custom system for more infromation check out this youtube video(you can even add a video card to the loop or 2 or that and another radiator the sky's the limit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt5_dU-15v8

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, Thanks Guys. I will probably go with a water cooler, if I can find one that fits my budget. I will look at the ones yo suggested, and if you may post some more that are around $50 - $75

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Note: I don't need anything fancy like lights and awesome water block designs, they would be nice but they arn't primary for me.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I won't be moving my computer to LAN Partys or such, in fact my computer will stay always at my desk, the only time I will ever move it is when we are changing the flooring in my room, remodling, and such.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

For that price, your looking at 120mm and 140mm coolers like a corsair h80i or similar. If you have a bit more, the h100i goes on sale often for $85-90

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, Ive decided to go with the Cooler Master Seidon 120V, it has about 85 CFM, which is pretty good for its price.

Thanks guys for all you help. Here is the updated build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zambonie/saved/JnLFf7

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can afford the extra, it's really worth it to get one of the higher end versions of the seidon 120. The v is the entry model.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

All I'll say is that when I built a comp for a friend using the 8350 and 212 EVO I got it to run 4.5ghz at 1.4v and it would sit around 55C while running prime95. It was pretty quiet too.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think that your statement is correct: and this is why. I am running a custom loop with an i7 4770k sitting at 4.5ghz using 1.275 core v. Temps on realbench 2.2 (asus stress program) is topping out at 87c after 15 min stress test using all 16gb of Ram. I was using an h100i before that and nearing temps around the same. Please explain how a 212 Evo would do comparable results.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

The i7-4770k and the FX 8350 are two VERY different cpus. Clock speed, voltage, temps, and the scaling between them are in no way comparable. Apples and oranges, if you are familiar with the expression.

What I have achieved is completely average for the FX-83xx series chips and a quick look around this website or any overclocking website will confirm that.

Also, the Haswell chips are known to run hot due to crappy TIM in the cpu heat spreader, and a 4770k running at the same clock as a 8350 beats it by miles in terms of performance. Clock speed is NOT everything.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

No but the volts you stated are. 1.4core v will rise temps considerably. Going from 1.3v to 1.35v on an overclock will give you even more temp rise than not.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

You're still thinking about Intel cpus. 1.4 volts will fry a 4770k, but you can easily pump that into an 8350 and be fine. You can push the voltage up to around 1.5v and hit 5ghz on a decent amount of 8350s out there (that is essentially what an FX-9390 is).

I really can't stress enough how different the FX lineup is from Intel's offerings. 1.4v is completely normal for an 8350.

Edit: To give you some examples, from this website alone:

FX 8350 4.8GHZ | GTX 770 | Gaming/Editing rig 4.8ghz at 1.49v, running 49C under load using H100i

AMD ALL THE WAY! 8350 R9 280x Gaming system 4.4ghz, running 51C under load using 212 EVO

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I see your point bub. To each his own.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube