add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVO 212 blocks RAM heat sink

CrazySabbath

64 months ago

Hi,

As topic states, I have evo 212 and ram, which has high heat sink and therefore blocks evo 212 fan. I had no other option but to make it so evo 212 fan is facing case rear/top fan. I've read that it's not the best configuration but I've no other option, and so far case/cpu cooling seems to be fine. So my questions:

• Should I leave my current configuration?
  • Or should I buy new fan for evo 212? If so, what fan would you advise? (if there is any that would not block RAM)

Ram in question: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

thanks

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 4 points

You should have bought low profile ram

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I should have :D this is not a very helpful comment ^

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

That's the only logical solution...

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much. The point is, just return the ram or cooler for different ones that fit together. A seidon 120v is a liquid cooler that takes less space, costs and performance is about the same, and has no issue with taller ram, or swap the ram for the low profile stuff

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure I can return my purchase or swap it for something else.

edit: just checked my store I'm buying all parts from, seidon is 20$ more :S

If I bought seidon, where should I mount its radiator with this case fractal design core 1500 ?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Rear.

That may have been a different version... The seidon 120 has a few variants... The entry model is the 120v

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

you shouldn't have any problems. By what you're saying you have the fan in pull configuration instead of push. If your temps under load are OK, don't worry...

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't actually checked what my temp is under load (idle is about ~31C +-2), just haven't experienced any problems while playing games, and assumed that temp is normal. I guess I should do some benchmarks to make sure :S

edit: found this article evo push/pull benchmarks if it has any truth, evo push and pull configurations are almost identical temp wise.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, the only thing you need to keep in mind is that the airflow of that fan doesn't conflict with the others. But as you read is basically the same thing

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Just move the fan up....

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Temp difference will be minimal at best. Enjoy your new system!

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have only two RAM sticks, you can generally mount them in the ones farther from the CPU and be OK even with up/down airflow mounting orientation of the hyper 212 evo (that's what I did in my build that's on here). If you have four high sticks, you'll have to use the front/back airflow mounting orientation. If the fan gets in the way of the RAM sticks, the fan mount brackets can be slid upward on the tracks in the heatsink fins until it doesn't and there will be no noticeable cooling difference.

Data available says the up/down airflow mounting of the 212 evo is a few degrees better than front/back airflow mounting, but it really is very little difference when it comes down to it.

The small-water-cooler idea isn't a bad one either, really.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually have the same parts and managed to fit it all in ok. I put the ram in first then the heat sink and finally the fan, edging it as far down as I could. ?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I've tried this before and couldn't fit it all in, maybe I will give it a shot later.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube