add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asrock Extreme4 Bios OC

XxJay620xX
  • 68 months ago

I really dont know how to OC, but i want to do it. Can i just use the bios and just turn the optimize cpu OC setting to like 4.0ghz or even a 4.2ghz OC?! So i can get an Easy OCThis is my build....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $200.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For $29.99
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For $80.00
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory Purchased For $149.99
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $59.99
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $61.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card Purchased For $719.99
Case NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $109.99
Power Supply Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $149.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $16.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) Purchased For $92.98
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Purchased For $267.58
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse Purchased For $29.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1969.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-29 06:22 EDT-0400

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you can. However such overclocking schemes usually apply far more voltage than necessary to ensure stability with every CPU.

You may find your CPU running quite hot at load doing this. Just for experimentation I used this to overclock my i7-4790K to 4.8 GHz. It worked but load temperatures topped 80 C. At stock, load temps are 65 C. 80 C makes me fairly uncomfortable, so I backed off.

You might want to apply it, then back off the CPU voltage bit by bit, checking for stability as you go. Or if you're comfortable with the load temperatures, just enjoy.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I have this mobo. Go to to the oc tab and change the multiplier to all core. Change that value to something like 42 (4.2 GHz) and increase the voltage (its at the bottom of the screen). Sorry for the less than detailed response, I'm on my phone.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

BTW, nice build.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I'll try it out when I get home!

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I have this mobo. Go to to the oc tab and change the multiplier to all core. Change that value to something like 42 (4.2 GHz) and increase the voltage (its at the bottom of the screen). Sorry for the less than detailed response, I'm on my phone.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so I have a question, one is that I actually don't know how to increase the voltage and two what happens if I don't increase the voltage

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

There should be something that says "CPU Voltage" or "CPU Input Voltage" or something like that. There are two, one of them is set at 1.9V, leave that one alone. The other one is set to "auto" or something like that. Change it to "override" and type in a new voltage (I don't advise going above 1.3 volts). If you don't increase the voltage the system will not be stable, in fact it might not even boot up. To test stability, provided it boots, download Prime95 or Aida64 and stress test it. If it crashes, either decrease the clock multiplier (multiply that number by 100 and you have your clock speed in MHz) or increase the voltage. If it doesn't crash, make sure the temperatures don't get too high. Intel Haswell (Refresh) CPUs will start to thermal throttle at 105*C. I prefer to be well below that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube