add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How much more watts do you need on your PSU than the estimated wattage your build is?

barly
  • 67 months ago

For example if it says my build has an estimated wattage of 400, would a PSU with 430w be okay or should I get one with more watts?

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 0 points

Get one with moar wattz. The usual guidelines are 100w extra, or some people stick with percentage extras, and a 500w psu would be 25% extra which is in the range of what the percentage crowd generally suggests.

So I'd specify a minimum of 500w for that build showing 400w on pcp.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

So for this build do you recommend the 430 or 500 psu? My budget is tight and kinda stretching already so if I can get away with the 430 would help a lot.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.98 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $56.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $72.00 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $144.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $38.98 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $676.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-29 19:53 EDT-0400
  • 67 months ago
  • 2 points

500w

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Right, what talby said is right, this one shows 323 watts, so if that is all you are putting in the system the 430 watt PSU should work. My build said 329 watts, and I am using a CX430 - and it's fine even under maximum load testing. That's new of course, and it's difficult to say if the durability might be better with a bigger PSU. But given the price the 500w and smaller PSUs can be had for these days, I just bought one as a spare so if the 430 breaks I'll suffer little downtime anyway.

If you're going to have more parts (e.g. optical drive) as shown in your current saved parts lists, things are different. Your i3 build parts list is 333w which would be fine with the 430w PSU, but the i5 build is showing 373 watts so I would build that with the 500w which is what you currently have on both builds anyway.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube