add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
milesknight
  • 68 months ago

My friend is changing his mobo to a better one will there be any problems such as info stored on his existing mobo.

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you like to specify what you meant by "info"?

Most, if not all, data is stored in the hard drive/solid state drive. I'm not sure if BIOS settings are stored there as well but if I'm wrong, the only thing that your friend will lose are the BIOS/overclock settings.

If the old motherboard can save it's settings into a flash drive, and the new board supports the same thing or is the same brand, then that should be covered.

Although he/she may have to re-activate the OS if the unit is running on Windows 8/8.1..

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

he isn't ocing and i don't think he has ever changed any of his bios settings and he is runing Win 7 so i guess hes all good.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to, clear the CMOS (check the manual) or just pull the battery and let it sit for a while, then put the battery back in.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube