add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
FN1TGhost
  • 69 months ago

X99? So, I have read numerous threads and am inclined to pick a Z97 mobo. BUT, with the advent of the X99 it seems the LGA 2011-v3 will out last the 1150. System is intended for gaming and the X99 option seems overkill. The sole and only consideration intended for the build is future-proofing not including the periodic component replacement.
The only reason I bring the issue up is 6 years ago I bought a gaming laptop and was ignorant about things such as 'integrated' motherboards etc.... I spent $3800.00 US dollars for the thing and needed a new graphic card. I was out of luck. So with that lesson in mind the build I intend to do must last 7 to 10 years (minus the random parts and components). I know the topic has been discussed into the dirt, still, guidance on the smartest route would be most helpful. Thanks

TLDR: For the price I assumed the mentioned laptop was going to last my purposes for at least 8 years or so. I still use Xcel on it and office but the GeForce 8600 can't keep up with gaming.

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Stick with z97, the x99 system will just be a waste of money. All you need is an i7 with 1 good gpu and you will be set for a long time. All you need is a budget under 2k for a build to last you for a while. I'm building an amd just cause I can build to run to see if it can last for more than 5 years or more. Also with some tests done there is really no performance difference in gaming with a x99 gaming pc to a lower end intel or amd pc. The differnce really shows itself with the gpu's. I have an older i7 thats lasted for 4 years and still running strong. It's all really about how you use it and how you take care of it.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

LGA 2011-3 will be around longer than LGA 1150, that's true. But what that means is that it won't be replaced for some time while new consumer chipsets with new features are released.

This became an issue with X79. Though it did (and still does) support powerful CPUs, towards the final years of its existence it didn't support some useful newer technologies the Z series chipsets started to support. X79 only supported two native SATA III ports and no USB 3.0 ports at all, so 3rd party controllers were required for those. It didn't have PCIe M.2 or SATA Express storage that Z97 supports.

X99 is fully up-to-date now, but if it's like X79, it won't change during its 5 year lifespan. And there are upcoming new technologies which may prove to be useful such as USB 3.1, which it will never support natively.

Go Z97 and save the cash for a future upgrade if you want to take advantage of new technolgies 4-5 years from now.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks folks, I'll stick with the Z97 and start with one of the economical builds posted as a baseline.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube