add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Non-modular PSU strategies?

ACVoong
  • 67 months ago

I've recently built my PC using semi-modular PSU and it proved to made the build process a lot easier than expected. However, when I look at non-modular PSUs, the unnecessary cables tend to intimidate me and I just wonder how I could easily handle the unnecessary cables and work with them one at a time.

What possible methods could you recommend to handle non-modular PSUs to make it the build process a little easier and to manage the cables easily?

Thanks, ACV

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

There's nothing wrong with non-modular PSUs other than they aren't modular haha

Using one really doesn't have a downside unless you're going to be using a really small case that doesn't have room for cable routing. Most mid to full size towers have ample room to route extra cables / tie them up / hide them.

Typically when routing cables I will put all the parts in, including the PSU and then start one by one routing what cable I need to the correct part. Whatever is left over at the end I try to group/zip tie together and hide where ever best

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

One at a time. Lots of zip ties.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Hard to say. It mostly depends on the case and your config. Do you have room? Is there an obvious place where you can jam them in and out of the way? Just rolling them up neatly and wire tying the excess looks ok? Just refuse to deal with anything less than semi modular?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd only really buy one if I had a case like an enthoo pro or an H440 with a PSU hider, because the cables are easy to hide.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have a case like the H440 or Carbide 540, there is a lot of room for big bundles of cables. I generally recommend you don't go with non-modular PSUs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube