add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU Problems with GPU...

generaltaco19
  • 67 months ago

So I actually have all my PC components in my house except for the GPU, which is coming next Monday or Tuesday, but I may or may not have a problem. I bought this power supply to go along with the MSI GTX 970, but looking through the specs now NVIDIA recommends having 42 amps on the 12 volt rail apparently, but I can't tell if the power supply has enough. Here is the output listed in the specs:

+3.3V@22A,+5V@22A,+12V@41.25A,-12V@0.3A,+5VSB@2.5A

I'm not sure if the +12V or the -12V is correct, but both are under the recommended. Should I return the power supply and go for something with a stronger 12 volt rail? I've only had all the parts for about a week so returning shouldn't be a problem, but it will be a hassle. Thanks!

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

It's close and should work, though it may have an issue if you push your system hard...

You might be able to find a different 970 with a lower requirement. That's a low wattage psu anyway though, so you might want to up its size a little...

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help! Right now I've gotten my GTX 970 in the mail and am not sure if I'm going to try and replace my PSU because it'll be a pain, but if it's extremely necessary then I will.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd suggest getting a stronger PSU, problem is the numbers in the OP are off. In the link to the PSU the numbers are:

+3.3V@22A,+5V@22A,+12V@38A,-12V@0.3A,+5VSB@3A

That 3.25 amps can make a difference. For safety I'd go with at least 600 watts and 50 amps on the 12v rail, just based on the manufacturer's suggestion of a 500 watt minimum the extra 100 is for safety as GPUs can often draw more than their rated wattage.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! The total TDP of the build is around 350 watts, and even with the extra hundred being use it barely touches 450 watts. I think I may return the PSU and go for something with at least 50 amps on the 12V rail after all. Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube