add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fractal R4 extra fans

Delrian

63 months ago

Hello,

I have some noise problems with my GPU (Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X) inside my Fractal R4. While the CPU fan and the pre-installed case fans are quiet enough, my GPU is too loud while playing games. Idle temp of my GPU is around 46-47° C, while in CS:GO it goes up to ~75° C which is kinda annoying noise-wise.

Since I didn't install any extra case fans, I want to try that to reduice the noise level of my GPU fans. But I don't know which to buy. Looks don't matter because my case is closed and has no window. It has to be quiet yet effective. I researched a little and it seems like Front (U), Front (L), Rear, Side, Floor is a good combination for GPU cooling inside the Fractal R4. I would pay up to 20€ for one fan (for reference: NF-F12 cost 20€ here) and I already have the 2 stock-fans from the R4 (Silent Series R2).

Any advice which fans to buy? How many? 120mm or 140mm? And the positions for optimal cooling of the GPU?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

So what's your setup currently for case fans? i have my r3 maxed out on fans, 2x120mm in front, 2x 140mm in top, 1x120mm in back, 1x 140mm in side panel, 1x 120mm in bottom) Had to go with 120 in bottom due to PSU size. All fans blowing air into case except back and top, and all Fractal Design fans. I have no problems with noise of my GPU's, i've had a GTX 460 SE, a GTX 660ti, and just recently got a GTX 970 this week.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

default setup, which is 1 back exhaust and 1 top intake

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Back and top i believe is best to be blowing out of the case not in, but i would add a couple fans in front at least blowing in, possibly a side fan blowing in also. Uncovering the side opening and putting a fan there might bring a bit more fan noise from the GPU though, so maybe just starting with two 140's in front.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube