add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which of these Z97 mobos?

Ledlock
  • 68 months ago

I'm getting an I5-4690k, which of these 2 Z97s should I get? Or is there a better one in the same price range? Is <$140 enough to get a good, reliable, somewhat future-proof mobo for a slightly overclocked 4690k? I'm probably going to be running a single GTX 770 or 970 gfx card on it if that helps. I don't think I'll do SLI in the future, it seems like its often better to go with one powerful card than two weaker ones.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97ssliplus

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97u3plus

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

The SLI plus is better. It allows SLI and has more features. Also, for video cards, go for the 970. It is better performing with better power efficiency.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks. I was leaning towards the 970 anyways. But I'm also waiting to see how the 960 performs when it comes out, since it isn't that long of a wait. Also, do you know of any reason not to get the SLI? I find mobos particularly hard to decide on :/

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

No, it is a higher end board. Overall it's a solid choice for a mid-range gaming rig. It'll work well with an i5 and a 970/960.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again. Sadly just heard the news that Nvidia is probably postponing the 960 :( Guess I might have to spend the extra to get the 970.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube