add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will this Raidmax PSU damage my stystem?

gpowell99
  • 66 months ago

I just purchased this power supply https://pcpartpicker.com/part/raidmax-power-supply-rx850ae but ive been worried lately from reading all of the stuff people say about raidmax psus blowing up or damaging their parts.

Should I return it and get a new one or will it be ok? My current build is currently only 374 watts but i plan to add another graphics card in the future. As this PSU is 850 will the lower load make it safer?

Much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a rebranded Andyson PSU, and while it's OK...it's not the greatest out there. I would consider returning it, if only for the comparatively long warranty given by other companies.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

So you think that it will probably work out fine? How strongly would you recommend that I send it back?

• 66 months ago
  • 2 points

I really would. Post a link to your build, and I'll see if I can find you another that will be better.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gpowell99/saved/pYFbt6

I think right now theres a corsair 750 watt one for 60$

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah thats the corsair one i was talking about.

I think ill buy that and then return the other one so that my PC doesnt blow up lol

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok it seems like I'll be ok with using it. I wouldnt prefer to go through the process of returning it and getting another one. I'll let you guys know how it goes once it comes.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I hate my raidmax psu. It's branded as 500 but puts out about 340

• 66 months ago
  • -2 points

4/5 eggs after 182 reviews. It will be more than fine for your system.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

"hey my computer turns on a day after I bought it and I can play 'Call of Battlefield 5'" doesn't mean it's a good unit. It might die a year after he writes that review, where as a better unit might last ten years. Most reviews are written immediately after purchasing the product, so it isn't safe to say it's good just because it has mostly positive reviews.

• 66 months ago
  • 0 points

Many raidmax units get reviews like this. Many of the reviews of this unit are from long-time owners. I personally own a Raidmax 530W unit that is going on 5+ years of life and still powers a gaming system under my TV.

Give me my point back.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Still. Statistically speaking, 5 out of 6 people who play russian roulette will walk away unharmed. Does that make it a good fun thing to do? No. Just like with Raidmax PSUs, there are plenty of safer alternatives that don't cost more.

• 66 months ago
  • -1 points

He's not going to be stressing the unit, which is what accounts for the other negative reviews.

You're also going to get negative reviews on EVGA and Corsair units. Are you still playing russian roulette?

Gimme a break.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

No, you are not. You know I know? EVGA has recieved awards for their customer service. My PSU has a ten year warranty, and the fact that they are willing to put money and effort into customer service and longer warranties means that they believe their products are reliable enough to last, and are willing to take full responsibility if they don't. Raidmax PSUs have blown up and failed on JonnyGuru's hot tests, even when not under full load. That is a very likely scenario, because while gaming, ambient case temp increases to around 40-50c on average. Notice how the Raidmax units lack any mention of what temps they can achieve the rated efficiency at.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube