add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Z97 Motherboard Indecision

Ledlock
  • 68 months ago

I've been looking at Z97 chipset mobos between $100 and $150 for my I5-4690K. There doesn't seem to be really any pattern in number of features or in reliability based on consumer reviews that I can find based on either manufacturer or price. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The boards I've looked at most are the Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 and Fatal1ty Z97, MSI Z97S SLI Plus, Asus Z97A, and some others.

I do plan to overclock a little, and I'm probably not going to use dual graphics cards.

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Asus is usually my pick at around $150 range, but really MSI, ASUS are both good manufactures. The thing you need to think about is how many sata devices you will be connecting whether you want it fully unlocked or just turbo OC.. Turbo OC's the multiplier on the board for the processor. This isn't a bad option for people just wanting a little CPU boost..The manufacture usually says something in the specs that it supports turbo..this will be on boards that are not Z series fully unlocked. Note: There is a decent $75 MSI board that I cant recall the name, let me look at re post it.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I have worked with both the z97 Extreme4 (in my build) and the Fatal1ty z97 (in a friend's build) and they are both great boards. I can't say from experience anything about the Asus or MSI ones, but both are reputable brands. Between the AsRock ones, pick whichever color you like better. Other than that they are more or less the same board.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the first-hand and second-hand experience. I wonder why there were poor reviews regarding the reliability of the Extreme4. Makes me uneasy about it :P And unfortunately the blue works better with my build, luckily Im not too worried about color coordination.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm surprised that the z97 Extreme4 gets bad reviews. I've had no issues with it, and it includes nice features, like a debug readout display, plenty of MOSFET cooling, and generally a really clean and nice design.

I wouldn't be concerned about the bad reviews. I've had my board for about 4 months, and it's handling an overclocked CPU, GPU, and RAM just fine. I also know a few people who have had AsRock boards for longer than I have and have had no problems with it.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the reviews that were bad were mostly people saying it failed after a few months or the usual DOA reviews. That's pretty common with motherboards for some reason, guess they're just complex parts. Glad yours is working fine though, makes me less paranoid about getting one :P

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

One thing to consider is that the boards in question in those reviews might have had static discharge issues, they might have been handled poorly by the builder. Make sure you wear an antistatic wrist strap and you should be fine.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Go for the Z97-A. ASUS boards are widely regarded as the best for overclocking. I have one and it made my build so much easier due to the well written manual and diagrams showing where everything plugs into the board.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I do plan to overclock a little? You meant Turbo range?

Also, why not go for H97 boards with non-K CPUs? (non-OC folks only)

Example: this board like Asus H97-Pro Gamer with ROG-like quality

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have a recommendation personally as I came here for the same reason as OP but I did notice NewEgg has a $15 off combo deal with the Asus Z97-A and i5-4690k if you haven't bought yours yet and that helps swing your choice any. NewEgg Link

• 68 months ago
  • -1 points

this is the one..I was thinking about. Pretty sure It has turbo which allows for you to increase the multiplier in the bios, and should OC the 4690k to 4.7-4.8

Manufacturer MSI Part # B85M GAMING Form Factor Micro ATX CPU Socket LGA1150 Chipset Intel B85 Memory Slots 4 x 240-pin DIMM Memory Type DDR3-1066 / 1333 / 1600 Max Memory 32GB RAID Support Yes Onboard Video Depends on CPU CrossFire Support Yes SLI Support No SATA 3 Gb/s 2 SATA 6 Gb/s 4 Onboard Ethernet 1 x 10/100/1000 Mbps Onboard USB 3.0 Header(s) Yes

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really a good choice in this budget. Although some B85 boards have unlocked multipliers, the chipset spec has fewer power delivery phases and no BCLK, so overclocking will be much worse than on Z97. Also, the B85 chipset doesn't allow for SLI or crossfire support. Also, you have no idea what OC a CPU will be able to reach. Every chip is different, and 4.8 is a pretty high bar. Even on a Z97 board, you'd be hard pressed to hit that on all 4 cores.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

He stated he didnt want SLI/Xfire, but if wanting to OC a "little" and save some money, I know its not the best for the budget but i was just trying to give options for budget/overclock a little no xfire/sli..with that said B85 is a decent choice..as i gave him my choice at $150

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You are either very lucky to get a chip that can go that high, or are pumping WAYYY too much voltage into that chip.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't change anything but the multiplier to 48, runs smooth under load no more then 32 deg

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

core voltage is 0.976

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You must have changed the voltage at that point. Most CPUs can't run even 200MHz higher without an increase in voltage. Run Prime95 for a few hours and make sure it doesn't crash, then check your CPU voltage in CPU-Z.

• 68 months ago
  • -1 points

here is another budget option under 100 MSI Z97 PC MATE and here is my pick for $150 Asus Z97-AR

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube