add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Keep my RM850?

StryderXCVI
  • 66 months ago

Okay, so currently I am using a Corsair RM850 PSU, with an i5 4670k @ 3.4 (stock) and an R9 290. Tomorrow I am selling my i5 4670k and motherboard to a friend, and buying a Pentium G3528 and an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard (no money out of pocket). I am also selling the R9 290 to a friend for $300, which is where I'm getting the extra money from. (and I really don't mind down grading this card because I do NOT like it, and probably won't buy AMD again) The reason being is I am not content with the way my first build turned out, and I need some money for this month's car and insurance payment, so I thought why not downgrade since I don't even play that many graphicically intense games, and I don't like my build. Anyway, back on topic, I will be purchasing a GTX 750 Ti to hold me out until tax returns next year. I have a spare Corsair CX600M. Should I use my RM850 with:

Pentium G3528 (overclocked as far as I can get it) --- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO --- GTX 750 Ti (also overclocking as far as I can) --- MSI Z97 Gaming 5 --- 1x8GB Kingston HyperX RAM @ 1600Mhz --- Corsair Carbide Series Spec-03 Mid-Tower (will have all fan slots filled) --- And I will later be putting a GTX 960/970 in, and an i5-4690k or Broadwell if it's out, and overclocking them all the way as well.

Or should I use my CX600M and just sell the RM850 and maybe get $100 out of it to shave some money out of my build? My other option is store away the RM850 till the i5 and GTX 960/970 come in, but even then I'd feel like it's overkill.

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep your RM850. It is a very nice PSU, and a great asset to have for future builds, as you could potentially run an R9295X2 and a 4790k off of that.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Or buffer the costs for future builds which I plan on making more power efficient :P. Good point though!

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

That would work, too. Nowadays with the 900 series and Haswell Refresh PCs can be quite power efficient.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

I would sell it!! The RM750 and RM850 units are made by Chicony while all other RM PSUs are made by Channel Well Technology (CWT), The ones made by CWT are tier 2 and the ones made by chicony are tier 3. Sell it...

https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/p/45344/323062.aspx?Redirected=true

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow, I've never seen that before. Maybe that could be the cause of my R9 290 coil whine, from not enough power? Who knows, anyway, I'll most definitely see about selling!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube