add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help ITX Motherboard Case Decesion

Valky
  • 68 months ago

Hi Here is my build. All parts are here including mother board which I am now rethinking. Killing me that I have all those new boxes sitting waiting for the build!!

First My objective was to push the envelope for both performance size and quiet! I know hard to do all 3. I went with slightly bigger micro case to help out.

Here is my question. I went with Mirco ATX gigabye motherboard b/c of all its features as well as good cooling control.
Now the issue. The Micro ATX actually will block ability to mount the fans in front of the Graphics card. on right side from back. Originally I wanted the option of being able to add a self contained water cooling for GPU on that side. Oh if there is an 80mm one quiet lol that would work on back.

So should I switch to mini itx? Or will I get enough cooling from just fans in the GPU?

If I do need to switch is the Asus impact worth the$220? One concern there is the thee is a huge radiator on left side that would partially bock one fan as well.

I could go Asus z97 a plus. but that ruins my nice red and black theme.

I could suck it up and go with original board which gives me some expandability and if needed add some 80's..

Here is my parts list. Yes I know I spent extra money on Ram and power supply lol. I got sucked into the USB connect for the corsair HXI. Again trying to keep temps low and quiet.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Valky/saved/K7dG3C

Thanks. Hoping to get this taken care of today lol

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a very solid build. With mATX, the bottom fan mounts are blocked. But I think an H100i and an air cooled GPU will be fine, as this is one of the best cases for air cooling.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Think I am going to go for it and keep the MB i have. I also think I have a back up plan... the scythe 12mm fans.. I think I can get those squeezed in just to help pull some more air into the box. Two or three of those even at a lower cfm will help keep the air moving..

Just a side complaint.. why does noctua fans have to be so uggly.... turd brown and beige.. just cant do it in my red and black box

After I build and everthing is working going to trick out box with UV will post pictures. Going to try something I havnt seen on H100i yet.. Hopefully it looks good lol

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad to hear it. I agree with your statement about Noctua fans: they are great fans, but I would never buy them due to their ugliness. And those fans you mentioned should definitely do the trick.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube