add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

gaming 5 7 or 9

BrigadierAngus
  • 68 months ago

trying to decide which will be best, i'm leaning towards 5. but i like the 9 because of the wifi.

i like the thought of the gaming mobos because of the easy oc'ing ability, but if theres another mobo out there that has a simplified oc for noobs that'd be cool too.

i was also looking at the asus hero vii.

any suggestions here?

ALSO: if i get a mobo with no wifi, i'd need a good adapter, any thoughts on that?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BrigadierAngus/saved/fJzXsY

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, you build is so similar to mine. I don't really have any experience with building computers, but from a price perspective, the MSI z97 Gaming 5 costs $~150. The gaming 9 costs $~300. It will be a lot cheaper to buy an adapter, which is around $20-40 for a PCI-Express, which is currently the best for WI-FI (to my knowledge).

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get decent adapters for $20 or less actually. $40 is way over priced unless it's wireless ac capable, then it's a good deal

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, was referring to all adapters in that range. I have seen pretty good adapters go for <$15.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

that.. is almost creepy haha. thanks for the advice though, i'm brand new to this as well, looks like we both made some good choices!

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Great minds think alike! No problem, I don't think that you would need a wireless adapter, since you're making a desktop. Do you not have an Ethernet cable?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

right now i'm restricted to wifi, as i'm living in an apartment and i cannot run the ethernet. buying the house soon as we get approved for the mortgage so i figured what better time than now to make a 2000 dollar purchase hahaha. my womans gonna kill me when she sees how much i'm about to spend.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh alright! Well your build looks awesome so it will be worth it!

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

The mpower series is also great. If your considering a gaming 9, might as well look at the mpower too for that price

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

right on man i'll definitely look into it!

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

i think i decided i'm gonna stick with the gaming 5 and add a wireless adapter, seems like the best decision considering my situation.

thank you all for your help.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not use power line? Based off my own experience I get 3x better connection (~10mbs with wireless to 45-50mbs)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube