add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD Drivers on Linux?

mikelara130
  • 68 months ago

I'm wondering what the current state of AMD GPU drivers on Linux is like - I'm planning on building a cheapish gaming rig with an R9 270, but I want to use Linux almost exclusively. I've heard bad things about the AMD drivers in Linux and their performance vs Nvidia drivers. Anybody have any input on this?

Should I just scrap AMD and go with a similarly-priced NVIDIA card? If so, anybody have any recommendations? Thanks for any advice you may have.

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points

I just finished building a linux-based HTPC with an R7 240, and I use a steambox at home that runs using an AMD 6850. However, those were convenient cards to use, and not exactly the "best."

Nvidia still has the definite upper hand when it comes to linux driver support. They generally get very good performance out of their cards, whether using the open source or closed drivers, and all linux games are compatible with them.

AMD, on the other hand, is really only acceptable using the closed source drivers. These have gotten massively better recently, to the point where I could almost max out CS:GO @ 1080p using that Core 2 Duo (2.8ghz) & Radeon R7 240 (operating off a PCI-E 1.1 connector) and maintain 30fps. So it's not like you can't get acceptable performance out of AMD on linux now, it's just that your options are more limited. There are also a very small number of games out there where the developers have decided to not even support AMD gpus for their linux versions; AMD cards MIGHT run those games, but nothing is guaranteed.

If you have an AMD card at $100 and an Nvidia model at $120, go for the Nvidia. If you have an AMD card at $100 and an Nvidia model at $150, go for the AMD; Nvidia isn't THAT much better.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

As said even it is not sure with the drivers whether that makes games to run .

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. get an nvidia card. AMD overheats and runs slow
  2. get mac. linux can't run anything.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube