add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this power supply good?

erick_256
  • 66 months ago

I have a budget of $800 and I saw that I wouldn't be able to afforde one of the better PSUs since the total base price was over $800 although it was below after rebates and such.

I found this PSU for this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/erick_256/saved/CcRnTW

Will this work? Also are there any other things that may go wrong with this build or is it perfectly fine?

Thank you. :)

Comments

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

No it will not.

Power supply is like heart of the system. If it fails everything will fail.

The wattage is very low for a start and CX is not that good but acceptable.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Alrighty, would you mind suggesting a better one please? :)

[comment deleted]
  • 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, why don't it work? The estimated Watts was 394W so I thought 430W PSU would be enough. xD

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much, I'll be sure to check those out. :)

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh goodness no.

R9 280's peak around 350 on an intensive game requiring full load. Add the rest of the system on top of that.

I'd suggest SeaSonics G-Series 550W Gold80+. Good quality, heavy duty materials.

My pick - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah okay. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking about your reply for a while now.

If I don't play games that require intensive graphics, would the power supply be good for now?

I play Minecraft, World of Warcraft, and Starcraft II. Are these games heavy on the graphics in your opinion? Would it require the graphics card to draw more wattage?

Thank you in advance. :)

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

They're not so intensive that it'll use all the power available but later down the track you've got to take into consideration a few things like:

• More graphically intensive games being released a few years down the track
  • Upgrading components/adding more components
  • Degradation on the PSU itself (It's not going to be outputting 550W it's entire lifespan, it'll drop over time)

It's always good to have a little more, and it won't hurt to have it now rather than paying more for a new PSU when you need a tad more juice

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

You really want a 750w here... I wouldn't go lower than 650w

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Found a massive red flag. That power supply WILL NOT output 430 watts, according to the specs of it, it can only out 384 watts. This EVGA 500w, (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100w10500kr) for the same price will output 480 watts, which is more than enough for your PC.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the heads up!

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, keep us posted.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube