add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Bang For The Buck x99 Motherboard

Richness
  • 68 months ago

I've been really interested in the Asus motherboard specifically the x99 deluxe, but it is really expensive compared to the rest of the x99 board. So I ask which board is best bang for the buck. I've been looking at these 3 (not including the x99 deluxe).

I haven't really heard much from msi, but I believe that this mobo fits my need, but no wifi connectivity so I would have to end up purchasing an adapter or pcie express card

Motherboard | MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard | $223.99 @ SuperBiiz

Motherboard | Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard | $256.99 @ SuperBiiz

Motherboard | Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard | $329.79 @ Newegg

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you considered ASROCK for the best bang for the buck?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Which board from as rock specifically? I haven't heard much about them.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it 5820K? How many GPUs?

How many SSD/HDDs? Or, only PCIe express card like Plextor or Mushkin?

What else hardware (PCIe lane sharing) do you intend use?

Based on that you can deduce a good board. If only one GPU and PCIe card, go for any entry-level good board.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

What would you consider "entry level good board" I plan on a single GPU set up with lossible sli 980s in the future. Do I go with 5820k or 5930k. One 256ssd and one 2tb HDD. Pcie express would be a wireless adapter unless the mobo does not have it

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

first off, either of those ASUS boards will be better than the MSI for overclocking, due to better power delivery. I'd go with the X99-A unless you need the extra connectivity on the X99 pro.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

MSI one is definitely the best bang for buck. And I wouldn't worry about the power delivery at all.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on for what. If he wants to overclock both ASUS boards will destroy the MSI.

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points

Nope, not unless you're using some extreme cooling the actual variance is incredibly small, and more often than not negligible (board A may need an extra .01v, or board B may end up with a speed that's only 8mhz slower than A etc).

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not just the power delivery. ASUS boards have a lot of better features than MSI this time around. Look at results of the ASUS auto overclocking tool VS OCgenie. ASUS beats it most of the time. ASUS also has better fan control.

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points

Couple things worth noting:

You should basically NEVER use auto OC, much less on x99. If you're not doing the overclock yourself, don't bother. You should NEVER trust the settings they set for you (ASUS included).

The only feature that ASUS has over the others that they have no comparison to is the extra pins on the socket which supposedly improve oc stability. Fan control is literally identical across all of them these days, the only difference being the GUI.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

To my knowledge MSI doesn't have hardware fan control, and ASUS auto OC isn't terrible. MSI simply sets it to 4.2GHz and uses whatever voltage necessary, without validating at all, but the ASUS tool allows you to manually change things like target voltage, and it will push the frequency as far as it can on that voltage, and then validate. ASUS TurboV EVO also allows you to adjust things like multiplier, voltage, and BCLK from within the OS, which is very handy. Linus said he really liked it, and was only able to get something like 50MHz more manually.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

First of all, X99 is the wrong platform if you are looking for bang-for-your buck products. Sure, the 5820K has a good price-to-performance ratio, but DDR4 RAM doesn't, and neither do the motherboards. The TDP of X99 CPUs are high so an AIO cooler is pretty much essential. If you want just as good a PC for most things, go for z97. You can get a top-notch z97 board for the price of some of the boards you mentioned.

That said, anything in the AsRock X99 series is going to be quality and less expensive.

• 68 months ago
  • 0 points

How would z97 and the 4970k fair with sli set ups I'm planning on sli 980s

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

It'll handle 2-way SLI 980s no problem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube