add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build something upgradable in the future... or the best within my budget now and total refresh later?

morganm
  • 67 months ago

Hashing over something that's been going thriough my mind. Trying to build a budget PC for my teenage son. Seems like I can get more bang for my buck out of an FX 8350 build that won't really be worth upgrading later. Just hope it is fast enough for several years and he can buy his own then.

Or I could build an i3 system but spend more on the motherboard. Then upgrade to an i5 that's compatible when the prices drop drasticly here in a year or two.

I've always been the type to build the best I could with the money I had. Then do a total refresh years down the road when I couldn't stand it anymore or it finally died. However I'm rethinking this strategy and would love some input.

Budget is around $500... not a dollar over $600. He plays Minecraft almost exclusivly but heavily modified. Plays some other games like FTL and occasionaly plays a more demanding game like Planetside 2 or DayZ mod for ARMA II. Who knows what he'll be into later or when he actually has a nice platform =/ If I had to guess... big MMO titles; he really likes multiplayer games.

Thanks!

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

When do you plan on building this for him?

I think just build him a PC this black friday for 500 that would normally go for $1000. AND NEVER BUY THE PARTS OVER TIME.

If you need a part list for $1000, I can make you one if you'd like. I know you're probably reading this comment thinking I'm doing exactly the opposite of what you want but if you build it on Black Friday, it will most likely be $500 and it will definitely be worth it. If you build him a PC that without sales is 500, it won't cut it. Take advantage of black friday or any big sale in general.

Also, don't use AMD. They typically dont last as long and heat up. For the games he plays, I'd also like to recommend a GTX 770 or 760. Maybe even 750 Ti, whatever you think is in your price range. Western Digitals are also the most reliable hard drives, and Samsung makes great SSDs. :)

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

It will be a Christmas present and I do plan on waiting 'til black friday to score some sweet deals.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Then I'd recommend doing a 1000$ build for 500. Do you want a part list?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes and what do you mean exactly?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

If you were to build a gaming PC that is normally $1000 without sales, then chances are it will be $1000. With black friday sales, most of them are half off and even more than half, so this build would be about 500.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Check out some of pcpartpicker's build guides. They can give better options than me. I tend to go over the limit sometimes. :p

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

OK cool shoot me the build list, thx!

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I concurr. AMD's FX 8350 doesn't leave much of an upgrade path as an i3 or i5. I have a 750 Ti in my build and it is great for non demanding games, like Minecraft.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

750 Ti is getting old. It's a great card, don't get me wrong but there are better ones that are the same price, if not slightly more.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

So would you suggest something like an R7 265? The 750 Ti is newer than that, consumes less power, albeit having less performance.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I avoid AMD because they run

Main things you should use: Intel core i5 4670K Asus Maximus VII HERO z97 Asus GTX 760 (or 750 Ti whatever is cheaper) G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair 450D WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube