add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How can I make my computer quieter?

Nemitis

62 months ago

My case came with three fans and they're all really loud. Am I correct in assuming that this is because they only have the three pin connectors and can't have their speeds controlled by the computer? And if that is the problem, should I replace them with fans that have the four pin connectors or should I buy a fan controller to adjust them manually?

Open Hardware Monitor shows that all three fans are running around 1200RPM.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

which case? and yea most cases come with loud fans. just replace the fans if you dont like the loudness.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

This one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-challenger with two 120mm and one 140mm fans. I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a $40 case. :)

Could you recommend any fans in particular? It's hard to chose when they all say they're silent and have conflicting reviews.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

does your mobo have 4 pin fan connectors on it or 3 pin? i have coolermaster jet flow 120mm fans, 4 pin, and they have a medium and silent adapters.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Noctua and Scythe brand is popular among those who prefer quiet/durable fans. You also want to minimize the vibration caused by the fan(s) so use anti-vibration mounts rather than the usual screws, if/when possible.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

List of quiet case fans by size, all reviewed by a site dedicated to quiet/silent computing with an anechoic chamber:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube