add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gift for my Brother is also my First Build; would appreciate build suggestions.

soulary
  • 67 months ago

This build is for my brother, his first gaming PC, and I've spent a good 5+hrs just tonight going over everything and trying to keep it around $500 if not less. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nwTrt6

I understand that under the compatibility it states "Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs" so I checked a bunch of websites and it appears to only apply to retailers/merchants who sell outdated/older versions of the motherboard; anything else about that I might not know?

The motherboard selected says on its website that it has an easy overclocking software that comes with the motherboard, but I've heard from other sites and from a person on here under the "CPU Coolers" forum that if I decided to use that software that the selected motherboard would not be good. What do you think?

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

I second FedoraNeckbeard, the parts list needs some revision, and the mobo should be fine.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, I have a post on each of the individual parts in the parts forum https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/57359-gift-for-my-brother-is-also-my-first-build-would-appreciate-build-suggestions

As you can see the last comment told me to make a forum post here under MOBO. If you would like to give me some hints on the individual parts the links there.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

From what I see there really nothing wrong with this parts list but your ram I'd see if your using a AMD APU vs CPU you'd see a performance gain but with the FX-6XXX 6-core CPU will see no gain. So, Save your self some money on the ram. Also the CPU cooler is crap if you look at many reviews it is worst the a Hyper x 212x air cooler has a cooler temp. How nice of you for thinking for your brother :D

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean by the RAM's interaction with the CPU? I was told that a closed circuit water cooler would be better than a fan? Thanks :)

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

APUs can use faster ram for their integrated graphics, in a FX cpu You won't see much net-gains in most applications.

You won't need a liquid cooler to get a respectable OC, and that's a very entry level liquid cooler. The Hyper 212 would likely run cooler.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

the speed of your ram, anything above 1600mhz you wouldn't see and performance gain in anything but you already got it. The CPU cooler from what I read people were able to get better temps from a Hyper X 212 then your closed looped water cooler, I too was also look at it for my rig. As for comparison to a stock cooler its day and night. Sorry, sound like and a$$ but Your Brother is one luck person to have you as an brother. :D

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I REALLY don't like the part list itself bit this isn't the proper forum for that.

You should be fine with MOBO if that's all you're asking.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry? I thought it would be useful to show the components, is that not how it's suppose to be done?

So the motherboard will be fine with handling an overclocked AMD FX-6300 in this configuration?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

This sub-forum is for mobo discussion and questions. If you want help with your build guide we have another sub-forum strictly for that.

Should be fine, but the motherboard is very low quality so I'm confused as to why you'd even want to OC on it.

My recommendation would be to start a new thread on the Part list opinion sub-forum. Its a much better place for CnC.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't asking if this motherboard would be good enough a MOBO question? I would like to OC it so that it's the best for the cost for my brother. Thank you

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

The mobo would work for an OC, but using that liquid cooler is beyond useless.

I know this isn't the right forum for part list suggestions but here I go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $100.15 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $31.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $78.74 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card $169.99 @ NCIX US
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $40.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $606.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-11 14:55 EST-0500

Here's an explanation for each change:

CPU Cooler: Much better than that liquid cooler.

Motherboard: A bit higher quality.

RAM: Just a bit cheaper ram, albeit its a bit slower.

HDD: I'm not sure how ideal a hybrid drive would be for this kind of build, changed it out for the traditional HDD and you still have the option of buying a standalone SSD one day.

GPU: The 270X will quite literally run circles around the 260X and 750TI (Speaking of which, even the 750TI will perform better than the 260X).

PSU: Slightly cheaper and provides a bit more power.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

That's Exactly What I would have Done, Plus +1 FedoraNeckbeard.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, that was extremely helpful, and I really appreciate it.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Also; going back to the original post. Is there a way to improve the design while keeping it around $500? Thanks again.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

If the whole idea of Overclocking the CPU I assume this would lower the cost?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube