add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
PH4NT0ML0RD

63 months ago

Is this a good build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97-Gaming 9 AC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $261.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $182.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $202.86 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) $355.91 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) $355.91 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case $219.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $189.99 @ Newegg
Monitor LG 27EC33V-B 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $299.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor LG 27EC33V-B 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $299.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2794.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 11:20 EST-0500

Anything YOU would change out? Will it all fit togheter? Will it still be good for three years from now, or will it be replaced with x99 and new processors?(Don't understand the difference, except for x99 being new...)

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

There's no point in making the RAM faster than 1866 Mhz, and assuming this is for Gaming, you really don't need to shell out of pocket for more than 8. I, personally, would set up a backup HDD if you're using the SSD as a main partition.

I don't think x99 will be a factor anytime soon, but if you want to have something future-proof, x99 would be the way to go.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I need 16GB Ram because its not only for gaming. I kinda want to be future proof, but since the price of a z97 is so much lower than the x99 I think the x99 price will be dropped by the time I have to upgrade, will it not? How long are we talking, 2-3 years or less?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I think, over time, when the price of DDR4 and more motherboards are produced for the x99 platform, is only when it'd be a good time to upgrade. I would say around 1-2 years, 3 tops.

I stand by my statement that the processor won't utilize the high speed of the ram, however, you'll find the optimal spot being at 1866 Mhz.

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

I completely agree with Sassas1 regarding the RAM. I think X99 is not ready yet and won't be and it won't matter anyway. you will be running one of the fastest cards on the market in SLI. you will be able to play any game on ultra for atleast a year or two before you even notice frames dropping.

DDR4 is cool, but again if you build the highest end pc on the market it will degrade at the same speed everything else is and you will just spend all that much more on it. your in a good high end place right now were you are not an enthusiast building a new pc every year, but your not running a regular pc either.

I think its a good build as is. I also agree with Sasssas1 regarding a backup drive. unless you have another machine you will store data on.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, great. So going with the z97 and i7-4790k would be the best for me. I want it to be able to play games in ultra etc. So lets say good for 1-2 years and then OK 3-5 years, or did you mean that I won't matter but the x99 and ddr4 ram would be good to upgrade to after 2-3 years? I really dont want to be bleeding edge either.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, let me give a small example. The Phenom X6 (Thuban), that was released almost 5 years ago, was a fantastic processor when it was released and is still very well off to this day. It's pretty much going to be the same way with the processor you get now. The graphics and the psu are upgradeable, and whenever you feel the need to upgrade to the x99 platform, you can do so at your leisure.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

go with what you have. it will play pretty much any game for atleast 4 years. not at ultra near the end of those years, but it will play. its probably the best build you can get without spending stupid amounts of money on very little performance gain.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! then this is definetely what I'll go for. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube