add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Upgrade, Somewhat Nooby, Need Confirmation

johnmertles

63 months ago

Hello all. I have a friend who is upgrading a PC. We are just about ready to order our final part. We already made the grave mistake of not checking the old motherboards compatibility, so I would like to triple check with some of you guys that all of this will be compatible.

The Specs:

Motherboard

Graphics Card

8 GB RAM

Processor

300 W PSU (100V-240V)

Old PC From Which We Are Upgrading

So those are the specs. However, obviously I am here because I have a few concerns. Unfortunately, I am not very bright in the field of processors. For starters, if we compare the old PC's processor, is that the same one as the link provided? I am not sure due to the "i7-2600K."

Second, will the pins fit into the new motherboard?

Lastly, will everything fit? It's a mid-size ATX case, but as far as my knowledge goes, that could mean anything.

I understand that it's usually best to just start off with a new everything, but we have very little money so we are trying to save as best we can. Maybe you guys have some suggestions?

Hopefully I am not missing anything. I did tons of research, as I can't mess anything up due to a tight budget. Hopefully you guys can verify those things for me.

I appreciate your time and patience helping me here. It really means a lot. Feel free to ask any concerning questions.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

the only difference between the 2600 and the 2600k is that the 2600k is an unlocked processor, that has the ability to be overclocked over it's factory clock settings.

The motherboard is 1155, the processor is 1155. It'll fit fine.

everything SHOULD fit alright, from the looks of it.

The one thing I can say is to upgrade the PSU as soon as possible. A cheap one that works amazing is:

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600

I hope this helps!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

You answered all of my questions perfectly! Thank you so much. I've been website hopping for quite a bit now, and you were the first person to help me. Again, thank you.

Have a wonderful day.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Any time. Also, if you run into any other complication, just shoot me a private message and I'll help you as soon as I can.

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Will do!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube