add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

-Calling all Hardcore Gamers and Enthusiasts-

Steve.Stier

63 months ago

Hey everyone, Like most people here asking for advice, I need help on a future build. I understand the basics when it comes to PC building however a lot of it still eludes me. I have an $1,800 budget and I am asking you all to please design the best PC you can based on the information I give you. If you could also just give a short and brief explanation for some of the parts chosen that would really help me!

1. I already have a case, software, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and monitor so please exclude those from the build.

2. The monitor I have already purchased is a benq 27 inch 2560x1440 WQHD Resolution. Which can be viewed here. http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

3. This PC will be used for serious gaming, Entertainment ( movies/ music ) and general everyday use.

4. I dont know how to overclock, however I do plan to learn and would love that to be included in the build.

5. I would like this to be as future proof as possible ( the only thing Id need to add is more monitors//storage space//4k monitor )

I look forward to hearing everyones ideas! I will also give $20 to anyones build that I end up choosing. Which can be sent to you in any ways thats convenient.

EDIT

If the build goes over $1800 by even $20-$80 and you can justify why ill still accept it.

-Steve

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $378.95 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $97.15 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $379.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $194.99 @ Adorama
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $101.47 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $329.98 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1797.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 14:47 EST-0500

EDIT: Future proofing, away! Now, I added the x99 platform purely for future-proofing purposes. Everything else is essentially the same, except for the RAM, Mobo and CPU. 6 cores, 2 threads per core, pure performance!

Double edit: I still don't want the money >:D

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Well I appreciate it! how come there isn't a motherboard included? I also already have a case and the software so I really don't need that in the build. also is it worth getting an i7 for future proofing?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, Fix'd.

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Great! is it worth dropping the 5820k for the 4790k and getting another GPU? can that single card power my monitor???

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

It can blow through BF4 on Ultra @ 60 FPS, but let me see what I can do!

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

does it do it on 1440p or just 1080? you can also drop the windows 8.1 because I already have that :P and I appreciate all the help!

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah it can do it on 1440p on it's own. But just in case, let's throw another one in there, eh? ;D

On the subject of cases, does it have room for a fan controller / Case fans?

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $97.15 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $148.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $82.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $101.47 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $327.85 @ B&H
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $327.85 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1636.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 15:00 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it has room its a pretty big case. I purchased this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119260

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello Steve,

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.98 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $82.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card $599.99 @ B&H
Power Supply SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $138.17 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $56.57 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1732.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 16:05 EST-0500

I7 4790K: This is overkill, the I5 4690K will support your stated requirements exceptionally well. Your budget supported the upgrade and it gives you overhead for more CPU intensive applications. By all means though, if you you aren't going to be touch those sorts of applications then go with the I5 and save a $100+.

Twin SSDs: Pure luxury and your budget allowed for it. Dedicate 1 to the OSS and the 2nd to your most used games and applications. By all means drop one of them and save another $100+ if frugality appeals over luxury.

Z97-A: This is in my opinion the best balance of performance, quality and cost to be had. Upgrading with it will be exceptional.

The Nepton 280: Simply, it will fit in the case and support any overclock that your CPU will be able to naturally obtain. Additionally it's acoustics for the performance are praised. It's luxury though it provides exceptional headroom.

GTX 980: This particular model receives great user feed back. It will meet and exceed your gaming requirements for quiet a good while.

I'm glad to discuss any of this with you. You don't need to pay for service provided here so I won't take your money for this.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

why not a 3tb hdd? also is a 6 core worth it? can I OC that cpu? do I even need to???

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't choose 3Tb due to reduced reliability. 1Tb is cheap and reliable and vast. If more storage is desired, additional internal or external drives can be added when required.

For serious gaming, entertainment and general use, no, the x99 platform is not worth it at all.
The performance benefits to your usage are going to lean heavily toward the first 2 CPU cores and will cap out with the third and fourth cores. This is why I said the I7-4790k was overkill but provided headroom if you foresaw the addition of more CPU intensive applications to your range of interests in the future. As I said, for your stated usage, the I5-4690k is the only processor you need.

You can OC all of the processors that we're talking about. No, you don't need to. You're building a system designed to OC though, so do learn about it and give it a go.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey! I am very sorry for the late reply, is it better to get 2 970's for 1 980? also should i drop a SSD and get more ram instead? Im not sure what CPU intensive programs ill be using, but I heard future games will be developed to better use the i7, is that true? Finally, should I even OC

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Steve.

2 GTX 970 in SLI will give you significantly higher FPS than a single 980. Here's a link that will show you with graphs.

The GTX 980 is an extremely powerful stand alone GPU but 2 970s out class it. The numbers speak for themselves. Consider though that one day you could add another 980 if you wanted more power.

You could certainly drop an SSD to save money but even doing so I wouldn't advise you to buy more RAM. Should the time arrive when extra RAM is a requirement it will be an easy upgrade.

Regarding the future of games, I can't predict that for you. I suppose that it's reasonable to assume that games will tend to follow the path that tech takes. The only question is when.
The I5 is a very powerful processor and will remain the go to gaming processor for a good long while.

Remember my reasoning, the I7 was only because your budget allowed it. My advise based upon your usage is to go with the 4690k.

Should you OC? I won't tell you that you should or shouldn't. You're building with the capacity to do so. Having the potential to improve performance should the need or desire arise will be to your benefit. Moderate overclocking is a very safe pursuit.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Steve.

2 GTX 970 in SLI will give you significantly higher FPS than a single 980. Here's a link that will show you with graphs.

The GTX 980 is an extremely powerful stand alone GPU but 2 970s out class it. The numbers speak for themselves. Consider though that one day you could add another 980 if you wanted more power.

You could certainly drop an SSD to save money but even doing so I wouldn't advise you to buy more RAM. Should the time arrive when extra RAM is a requirement it will be an easy upgrade.

Regarding the future of games, I can't predict that for you. I suppose that it's reasonable to assume that games will tend to follow the path that tech takes. The only question is when.
The I5 is a very powerful processor and will remain the go to gaming processor for a good long while.

Remember my reasoning, the I7 was only because your budget allowed it. My advise based upon your usage is to go with the 4690k.

Should you OC? I won't tell you that you should or shouldn't. You're building with the capacity to do so. Having the potential to improve performance should the need or desire arise will be to your benefit. Moderate overclocking is a very safe pursuit.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Steve.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Steve.

2 GTX 970 in SLI will give you significantly higher FPS than a single 980. The GTX 980 is an extremely powerful stand alone GPU but 2 970s out class it. The numbers speak for themselves. Consider though that one day you could add another 980 if you wanted more power. --

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

im assuming everyone must agree with your build lol

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose so. Well, again, for future-proofing, i7 5820k. For Dual SLI, 4790k. Hope this helps!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I am a fan of the 4790K. Granted I enjoy ridiculous computers, but I feel this is more performance per dollar vs the 5820K. both are great builds though.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh hell yeah, I can agree that for sure. However, when games start needing to utilize more than 4 cores, and 4 cores becomes the minimum instead of 2 cores, then you'll have the hex core to keep that performance going for some time. Only thing is that the 5820k can utilize faster ram.

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

true, but it goes back to the investment at time. Its a big debate we can bounce back and forth on all day long. both are fine builds, but IMO the 4790K is the way to go.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't disagree, I think if you want power NOW, 4790k is certainly the way to go. However, if you want some power now, and be safe for the future, the 5820k is the way to go.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube