add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hi everyone, first time builder needing a bit of feedback!

noiresel

63 months ago

I decided to finally build my own rig after playing games on toasters for the majority of my gaming life. I have a general idea of what I'd like to do, and I'm just needing some opinions before pulling the trigger. The GTX760 was purchased prior so I'll be building around this card.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.94 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $87.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76.93 @ B&H
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.97 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Enermax ECA3253-PW ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $584.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-13 18:51 EST-0500

Some insight into my choices:

• CPU & Motherboard: A friend recommended I go for an i5 for gaming. I'm not planning on overclocking at all so I've been looking at H97 boards so I wouldn't have to worry about a BIOS update.

• SSD: Went with this so I could load my OS and favorite games on it and run it off that for a while until I buy a HDD where I can store all of my music & picture files. I also made an alternate combination with both an SSD/HDD combo but not sure if that's worth doing that at my price range.

• PSU / RAM: Thought it was at a decent price, but I'm not sure if it's a solid selection for what I have.

• Case: The case was picked because I like the color but that's something I'm definitely willing to change out for another mid-tower case if needed. Preferably white, but I'm ok with black if it fits all the criteria.

• Other things: I would like to have some sort of wireless adapter as well.

I'm looking to spend in the range of $600-700 USD for the rest of the parts. I'll be buying the parts in groups, so I hope to have the computer built by the end of the year. I appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Technically you're looking good. Not sure about the green memory; same performance and blue to match the motherboard http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d8gab

For your storage when you add it a Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital Blue are both good, and for wireless TP-Link PCI express cards are good.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

At the time I selected the Ballistix one because it was the cheapest, but I didn't think to have the RAM match the motherboard lol. Thank you for the recommendations!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

My only suggestion:

Motherboard: An ASRock H97M Pro 4 is essentially the same thing except it is a Micro ATX form factor but it supports crossfire so you can upgrade to dual GPU's if need be.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm kinda new to all this so not sure what I would do with two GPUs haha. What's the advantage of having more than one GPU?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Ehh, I read over your notes more carefully and even though the Mobo i suggested supports crossfire (which is dual gpu support for radeon gpu's) it doesn't support SLI, which is dual gpu support for Nvidia gpu's. So my point is invalid. As for the advantage of dual gpu's, sometimes you can get better performance from two cheaper video cards compared to one higher end card.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube