add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

beginner builder wants advice

chodbro

63 months ago

First time builder, gaming PC with mostly RPG's like witcher, skyrim, Civ series and some shooters. I was trying to keep the price below $1500 but not realy worried that i went above it. I found this website, has helped, but trying to do research and i'm overwhelemed by the amount of info out there. So any advice on my sad build. I want upgradeability first, performance, price. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YzJnXL I am trying to go from consule(ps3/4) to PC

Thank you for the help!

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Last gen i7, change to a Haswell i5 for gaming. Not the best PSU, expensive parts deserve a bit better. $90 for a Blu-Ray drive in a gaming rig? Only need 8GB RAM. Do you really need a Terabyte of SSD? Sorry if that all sounds a bit harsh, but you have a do-everything build rather than a dedicated gaming build, that's why you have gone over budget.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think your harsh, just honest. I changed a few things, not sure whats a good power supply unit and i don't understand the blu-ray question, would you explain please, i picked that so i can watch blu-ray movies. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RVW7yc

Thank you for the help!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

made a few changes, kept most of your choices:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.29 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $31.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z97-P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $115.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.97 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.68 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card $389.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $93.09 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $99.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1348.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-14 06:57 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering you are a first timer, I'll try to explain easily (cause your build is not very neat).

You chose an i7 3770k, while the i7 4790k exists for just $15-$20 more. Due to which your motherboard choice was not the very best, so I gave you a Maximus VII Hero (it's ******* amazing). The RAM you chose was perfect so I went with it.

Coming to storage - see, SSDs are very fast so we keep our OS and games on that, however it is very expensive compared to HDDs, so normal media and files storage is done on a HDD. Hence my choices.

Yes, your video card choice is good, however with a GTX 970 you get better performance at lower cost.

For a power supply I bumped up the wattage to 650W and gave you a 80+ Gold PSU.

Lastly the optical drive - do you really need a $74 bluray drive? Anyways honoring your choice I kept it a bluray drive but a slightly cheaper one.

Enjoy the build!

Cheers!

http://pcbuildingforum.cf

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $279.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $203.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $146.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $81.90 @ NCIX US
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $368.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $104.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $54.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1571.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-14 06:57 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

whats the i7 vs the i5-4690k performance difference? again new to this. On the motherboards i was very confused on what to pick, was it that bad? The blu-ray player seems after reading like I went overboard. What would you reccomend for the Optical drive and it doesn't have to be blu-ray i just wanted to watch bluray movies, but not %100 neccessary. What do you mean by the build is not very neat? Don't worry you won't hurt my feelings, just curious.

Again Thank you for the help!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

i5 vs i7 is very little for gaming, i7 is better for video editing and large packet data crunching. If you are spending $200 on a motherboard, for which stability at higher overclocks is the real benefit, then water rather than air cooling is better, but even if you only clocked to 4GHz that should be able to handle just about any game (that hasn't benefitted from Ubisoft's take on optimisation, that is). About the blu ray player, it's sometimes better to just get a dedicated player, no need for extra software and there may possibly be some stuff that won't play (perhaps, don't take what I say as gospel on this point).

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

When I said that your build is not very neat, I meant that your build is not balanced properly and the parts are a bit outdated. Meaning that some parts were bottle-necking your build (that is some parts would not perform to their optimum level).

A little on the naming convention of Intel's chips. There are tree tiers - i7, i5 and i3 where i7 is the highest tier. There are different generations of chips in these tiers. Currently it is the 4th generation that is why i7-4790k or i5-4690k, for the next three numbers - the higher the better. Now you may notice there is a 'K' at the end meaning it is a unlocked processor, that is it's easy for overclocking, let's just leave it at that.

Hence me saying that get the i7-4790k (4th gen) vs the i7-3770k (3rd gen).

Now the motherboards have a different naming - there are different generations of 'chipsets' (microprocessors that help the various components talk to each other). For intel motherboards the naming goes like - Z97, Z87, Z77 chipsets. Z97 being the latest generation.

Hence your choice of getting a Z77 motherboard not being practical.

Honestly any optical drive would do (people use the drive to install the OS on their HDD or SSD but that can also be done using a USB). It's just a personal preference.

If you have any other question, just ask! (And sorry for any typos).

Also whatever zen1966 said is also correct.

Cheers!

http://pcbuildingforum.cf

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube