add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Newegg 2014 build mixed with some stuff from a part list

Xalian

63 months ago

About a week ago I asked for a part list for my budget to be put together, and user Zen1996 came up with this (The keyboard was added by me, but only because of the recommendation by Zen and I won't be needing the wireless adapter after all).

However, I have a bit more money than i thought I did so I put a bit of Zen's build in the newegg build and came out with this

Do these parts even work together? Are there cheaper alternatives i could be using that would have the same result?

I feel like with my very little knowledge of computers I'm doing something horribly wrong, but it would be great to have that pointed out before i buy the parts.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, I completely blanked on it, but a case recommendation for this thing would be great!

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Should cope with any game:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £161.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 50.5 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £43.37 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £110.87 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory Mushkin Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £59.94 @ Aria PC
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £77.98 @ CCL Computers
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £75.54 @ Aria PC
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £55.00 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card £435.59 @ Aria PC
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 ATX Mid Tower Case £65.00 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £80.32 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £72.35 @ Aria PC
Monitor AOC q2963Pm 60Hz 29.0" Monitor £287.15 @ Scan.co.uk
Keyboard Cherry G80-3850LYBGB-2 Wired Standard Keyboard £55.48 @ CCL Computers
Mouse SteelSeries Kana CounterStrike GO Wired Optical Mouse £32.00 @ Amazon UK
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £1612.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-14 17:30 GMT+0000
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for stepping in again, I was really surprised to see the better gpu for cheaper. Few questions, sorry if they're silly but as said before im really not knowledgeable about these things: Is 8GB of ram all i need? And is there a specific reason for the more expensive mobo?

Thanks again, Zen!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

8GB is fine for gaming, and that RAM is CAS 8 (usual is 9, lower is better). The main reason for a more expensive MOBO is stability with overclocks, if you are only going to put a mild OC then a cheaper MOBO will be fine, as long as it's a Z97. It's always tempting to skimp a little on MOBO and PSU, they aren't as smexy as a faster GPU clock or more CPU cores, but they are the bedrock of your build, all the other components rely on them to function correctly.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes a lot of sense, I think I'll be sticking with those then.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

You could easily get that performance for less, but I wanted every part of that build to be solid; it's about balance, and at that price, the 'interesting' parts deserve good quality components backing them up. For example, the case might look a little uninspired, but it's got 3 14cm fans and a bunch of cable routing holes, and the extra wide monitor is an IPS (truer colours) but still fast enough for gaming. You have a good SSD for OS and drivers, a decent SSD for games, and a reliable HDD for data and games that won't benefit from SSD.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Another few questions if you don't mind.

• Would the 128gb drive be for OS and drivers, and if so is that big enough?

• Are all the SATA ports(?) on the MOBO the same speed?

• Do you have any experience with the OverClock genie?

• I read something about negative air pressure inside the case when you have a few fans, is this something I really need to worry about or is it only something for those that want everything perfect?

Thanks!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, my god, the price of that GPU and power supply. I assume the Newegg build is based on US prices, they don't translate. Give me a minute.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube