add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

*First PC*Build Help: Could you guys please help critique/optimize my build.

Ritual

63 months ago

Hey everyone, I'm finally done with consoles. Figured I'd try my hand at building a pc. This is the build I came up with. Everything seems to be ok (I know the gpu could be better), but I figured I'd ask someone with experience. I built it with OC in mind for the future but I'll prob wait a bit. As of now though if it can play most current games on high with a good FPS then I'll be happy. If I don't have to upgrade anything aside from the GPU for a few years then I'd be content.

Questions: GPU- Is that the best GPU for the price range or is the GTX750Ti better? Mobo- How is it? There's a deal at micro center, if you purchase a qualifying cpu you get $40 of your mobo. Got it for $89. I went home and looked at the reviews and I'm a bit worried. There seems to be a high failure and doa rate. Any other z97's around 90-120 that I could replace it with? PSU- PC Partpicker has the wattage around 370, so I know 600 is overkill but for $34 it's a steal. And allows me alot of breathing room when I OC and upgrade the GPU.

Thoughts, opinions? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $200.00
Motherboard Asus Z97-K/CSM ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $89.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $139.99 @ Newegg
Case Enermax ECA3280A-BL ATX Mid Tower Case $66.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $70.00
Monitor AOC e2752Vh 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $179.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $930.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-14 14:01 EST-0500

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can stretch your budget, Get a R9 280 over that 270x, the performace jump is worth the extra $20-$40

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

You're the second person to mention the R9 280. Is the performance increase that much of a boost?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I really is, the 280 will max out 95% of games, while the 270x will max out 80% of games.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

In your opinion how long would the 280 stay relevant? Would I be good, for say 2 years?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't predict the future, but I would be good much longer than the 270x.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Good enough, lol. Thanks for the help.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

People are more likely to post a one star review for a DOA than they are to post a 3 or 4 star if they are just satisfied, I wouldn't worry about replacing it unless and until you have a problem. That GPU is a lot faster than the 750 Ti, only downside is three times the power draw. It might not manage every recent game on Ultra but it should easily cope with high for most of them. And replace the stock cooler if you decide to overclock, but it should be fine for stock speeds.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that it could be the case with the mobo but 5/8 new egg reviews are negative and 3/8 on amazon are negative. 50% is still a bit high, and considering I'm fairly new if it went belly up I'm not sure I'd know how to deal with it. lol.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube