add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hefty Gaming build, need input

grizzlyatoms

63 months ago

Hey there, i've been building my own computers for 14 years now and glad to see this kind of website. Its pretty awesome actually. Anyway, i'd like to get some opinions on the parts ive chosen. I only build every 3 to 4 years so i need this to last. I plan to build it by Chirstmas this year (2014)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/grizzlyatoms/saved/8V6NnQ

Motherboard- Asus Rampage 5 Extreme CPU- Intel I7-5930k Ram- Crucial DDR4-2400 32gigs CPU Cooler- Kraken X61 Watercooler Storage- Samsung 840 500g SSD x2 GPU- GTX 780-TI 3gb x2 (i already bought 1 right before they were discontinued :( so i'll buy the 2nd before they disappear.) Case- NZXT Phantom 820 PSU- Corsair 1200w modular BLU-Ray burner x2 Windows 8 :( Typical other stuff, fans, lights I already run 3 asus 27" monitors so im good there.

Anyway, it is a pricey build, but i'm looking for ultra high performance. As for games, i want to max out on anything i play, but in all honesty, the reason for such high end is for Minecraft. I play modded MC with over 200 mods and i can't handle it anymore. Its too demanding for my current machine. I also run 128x textures which definitely doesn't help. Things are going to get worse as well as every day new mods are coming out and old ones getting even better. I have struggled with lag in MC for over 2 years now and wish to finally put it aside...

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm basically just wanting opinions on this setup and if its a good way to go or not. If its crap then please tell me. Either way i'm spending the money so i'd prefer if it went to good parts :P

Let me know your thoughts on this build and what i might be able to do to squeeze any more from it... I'm just about capped at $3500 so thats my initial budget, anything more will have to come in as an upgrade later. Thanks Grizzly

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

....FOR MINECRAFT U GOTTA BE JOKING..I see battlefield 4 and even later games running 60fps on ultra. You could spend 1000$ and be good for minecraft for a lifetime. I get around 120 fps on a macbook air running 161 mods.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TyDFHx It will easily last you 5 years and will handle anything you throw at it. I suggest you get a custom water cooling loop to get every last drop of power out of it if you feel comfortable later on. And maybe get additional storage later on

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand that you have already bought the gtx 780 ti, however might I suggest that you sell it on Ebay and go with GTX 980 two way SLI (just cause you have a high budget and perfomance is better).

If this build is primarily for gaming and a bit of video editing etc, then an i7 5930K is not necessary, an i7 4790k will suffice.

Hence there is no need for an X99 motherboard, getting a high end Z97 will be very good. So some money is saved there. Hence my choice of MAximus VII formula (and it looks damn good!).

I assume you are going to overclock like a maniac, so I got you the Nepton as it is cheaper and gives better performance hence giving you better overclocks.

Also for almost the same price of storage instead of two 500GB SSDs, I got you 500GB SSD x 1, 250GB SSD x 1, and 2TB HDD x 1. A much practical solution.

And why two bluray players? I removed one of them but if that is what you want, go ahead add it.

All that being said if you still want the X99 and i7 5930k and can't get rid of the 780 ti then the other build is for you (lowermost).

Enjoy you build! If you have any more questions feel free to ask :D

Cheers!

PC Building

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $279.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $305.98 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $235.95 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card (2-Way SLI) $579.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card (2-Way SLI) $579.99 @ Micro Center
Case NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case $219.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $249.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $56.57 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2905.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 01:37 EST-0500

The other build now :-

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $499.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $468.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $494.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $235.95 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card -
Case NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case $219.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $249.99 @ Micro Center
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $56.57 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2623.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 01:39 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

As for storage, i am running 8tb's on a raid box plugged into my asus ac68 router. All my data goes there. I might go ahead and run a raptor drive for maybe my steam install drive and have big games go into there, but if possible, i want to try and keep stuff on the ssd's for performance reasons.

2 bluerays? Who the hell knows, i just want 2. They are cheap and i plan to do some burning. I have a growing bluray collection and i plan to go ahead and start ripping them all to my server and possibly making backups.. Just nice to have 2.

It will be water cooled, ive yet to settle on one though. I do plan to keep it closed loop. I'm also on the fence about the CPU. Its badass and i want fast which is why i'm kinda set on it still. Ive been reading reviews and compare write ups and yes the 4 series is still smoking, but the new 5 is even better.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see, well then your build is just perfect as you are ready to spend the money.

So what did you think about the graphics card, you know if you want performance primarily in gaming then think twice about the graphics card than the CPU as most of the games don't utilize many of the features provided by very high end CPUs.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The 780ti is awesome. I am bummed to see it discontinued but what can you do. My last machine is a phenom x4 at 3.0 or so. Asus formula board, 12 gigs and all kinds of wore out. Broken fans, dust everywhere ect. Due to my old 6870hd going out, i went ahead and got the 780ti knowing i'll be building the new machine soon otherwise i never would of thrown it in my old system. Anyway, on top of my head, metro last light i couldn't play, farcry medium, most AAA games were medium. Just the card got me into high and sometimes ultra...Its a beast of a card. i just hate being in the situation i'm in now. I paid almost 800 for the card and 2 months later dropped to 550 and discontinued.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah well tough luck, anyways the GTX 980 in SLI will just perform 10-15% better that the 780 ti in SLI. So no need to be upset bro. Just get the other 780 ti and play the heck out of it.

Btw do buy Windows 8.1 as news just came that there will be no Direct X 12 for Windows 7. Also there will be a free update to Windows 10 for the people who buy 8.1 right now.

Cheers!

PC Building Forum

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know. What the hell happened to 9? I'm still on 7 simply because i hate the 8 interface. Wonder what 10 will bring. BTW, thanks on the advice and take care.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube