add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
stev01

63 months ago

Hi guys, I have been looking for a while for a solid pc rig. I've been keeping my eye on prices and now seems to be a pretty good time to build my first PC with the fact I can get the OS free with uni and I would really like a decent size display for doing work opposed to just using my laptop, as well as a nice gaming rig. Here's the link to the part list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D26FHx

Just to note, I want to use the MSI GTX780 card not the 780Ti, but it wasnt showing up on the list (can be seen here: http://www.ebuyer.com/667421-msi-gtx-780-twin-frozr-gaming-le-3gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-n780-tf-3gd5)

I'm fairly sure it's all compatible based on what I've read though I could me missing subtleties, here for reassurance and any possible improvements you can think of without increasing the price substantially. I'm getting mixed messages regarding the Z97 boards not shipping with the BIOS for the 4690k CPU, and I'm not sure if I would need additional cooling, I don't plan to use SLI or overclocking so I figured I would be okay.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate your time.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

That 780, just google GTX 970. Z97 is what you want, it's Z87s that may have BIOS issues. Get an after market cooler if you intend to do any overclocking at all, Hyper 212 is usual standard rec for performance v. price. You only need a 550 watt PSU, but I would get a better quality one from XFX or Seasonic or the like. That red HDD is better in servers than a gaming rig, you would be better with a 120GB SSD for boot and a 1TB Caviar Blue.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi zen, right now I'm only seeing the 970 going for a generous price from manufacturers I'm not too confident with, I'd like to stick with Asus>MSI if possible.

Thanks for reassuring me that the Z97 will be fine, looks like I'll be going for that then.

In regards to the SSD/HDD, I chose a ~250gb SSD as I would like to store my most commonly used programs on it as well as the operating system, also I'll have to have a look into WD storage to educate myself on what the colours actually mean...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube