add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Feature Creep between two builds?

maksutovic

63 months ago

For the last few months I felt pretty solid on this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LkksjX

However, obsessively watching reviews/unboxings etc... and wanting to future proof as possible, I slowly started doing more research and came upon this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YPbDhM

Am I running into diminishing returns with the slight bumps from Cavier Blue to Black, Evo 840 to Pro 850, stock 970 to factory overclocked like the FTW?

I know the mother board looks a bit over the top (I'm assuming I'm paying for ROG marketing), but the components on the mother board do look great, and I do like the slightly upgraded built in audio, but am I potentially running into a sucker trap?

I was really trying to keep this under/at $1500, with the later build, i'm pushing my upper limit, but am comfortable if I you all think I could notice sizable FPS improvements. I also like to build rigs for 2+ years, plus adding another 970 in a couple months with SLI is a no brainier, easy thing.

Purposes of this rig will primarily be gaming, video editing, software development. I currently use a potato as a rig, so I might be overwhelmed by all the shiny new toys available now....

I appreciate all and any advice, thank you!

(Note, I have an obsession for Noctua fans, so that is the only thing that I won't change :P )

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

I would personally go for the second build but get a better cooler, perhaps a cooler master nepton 280L if you are overclocking.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

No love for Noctua? I guess I'm still not hip on water cooling... Thank you for your suggestions!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are really looking for silent i have heard that noctua fans on liquid cooled all in ones are really good and queit

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Looking at the change in drives, you will see a small increase in performance increase from a caviar blue to black to blue drive. As for the the SSD's, the 850 pro is currently one of the fastest SSD's on the market; and if you enable rapid mode (rapid mode uses a percentage of your system ram to increase performance) there is nothing that can come anywhere close. Not even a multiple SSD raid 0.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, I had no idea. And considering that, opting for 16 gigs would help use that feature. Great tip, thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube