add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mini-Itx gaming rig (so i can take it with me as i move around the country- public transport)

zeroseed

63 months ago

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/TJTxWZ

this is what i'm considering making, i went with the 970 over the 980 as i feel a 980 is overkill for the cost. rest is all pretty meaty.

with it being an M-itx i'm slightly concerned how these things do with over heating, i assume the water cooled cpu and decent cable management should be enough?

does any1 see any glaring mistakes here? or anything you would change out?

a quickish reply would be nice as i'm thinking of building this within a fortnight of now. thanks very much for any help i really do appreciate it.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not a expert at all but here's what I'd change.

I'd get rid of that thermal paste you have, just use what comes with the CPU. It'll work just as good, specially with your water cooled cooler.

If you're using the SSD just for a boot drive, i'd go down to 120GB.

And with those two things I've changed, you'd have enough money left over to maybe spend it on faster RAM. get some DD3 2000 or 1866s

Thats what I'd change in my opinion, though, i'm not a expert. :)

looks like its going to be a awesome build though.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you for the advice, i'll take this into consideration. cheers.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

im not an expert either but i do know that linus did tests with ram speed and you basically cant tell the difference but i also know that when i put things on my 500gb ssd they open and run a lot faster so if you are a video editor or play games with lots of loading then the ssd is great to keep

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

For something the equivalent to a lan box, something for on the go. Your putting a great deal on money in an item that can be potentially be lost broken or stolen... **** happens.

I'd cut back on the overall price to something that could more easily replaced in case of those worse case scenarios, but tha'ts me. I'm a worry wart.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube